11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2017 8:07 AM by abhijeett89122812

script for adjusting table and cell properties

abhijeett89122812 Level 1

I have many tables in my file, is there any script which can help me to apply below properties ignore font and its font family,

my procedure will be i will select the whole single table and i will click the script and below properties will be applied...

font size 7 and leading 8

and cell properties

and row hieght

Thanks in advance!!!

• 1. Re: script for adjusting table and cell properties
          Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

Let's try this script. Place the cursor into the table an run it.

var scriptName = "Table",
          doc;

PreCheck();

//===================================== FUNCTIONS ======================================
          function Main() {
              var table = CatchTable();

table.cells.everyItem().texts[0].pointSize = "7 pt";
              table.cells.everyItem().texts[0].leading = "8 pt";
              table.cells.everyItem().leftInset = table.cells.everyItem().rightInset = "1 mm";
              table.cells.everyItem().topInset = table.cells.everyItem().bottomInset = "0.5 mm";
              table.cells.everyItem().verticalJustification = VerticalJustification.CENTER_ALIGN;
              table.cells.everyItem().autoGrow = true;
              table.cells.everyItem().minimumHeight = "3.75 mm";
          }
          //--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          function CatchTable() {
              if (app.selection.length > 0) {
                  if (app.selection[0].parent.constructor.name == "Table") {
                      return app.selection[0].parent;
                  }
                  else if (app.selection[0].parent.parent.constructor.name == "Table") {
                      return app.selection[0].parent.parent;
                  }
                  else {
                      ErrorExit("Place the cursor into the table.", true);
                  }
              } else {
                  ErrorExit("Place the cursor into the table.", true);
              }
          }
          //--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          function PreCheck() {
              if (app.documents.length == 0) ErrorExit("Please open a document and try again.", true);
              doc = app.activeDocument;
              if (doc.converted) ErrorExit("The current document has been modified by being converted from older version of InDesign. Please save the document and try again.", true);
              if (!doc.saved) ErrorExit("The current document has not been saved since it was created. Please save the document and try again.", true);
              Main();
          }
          function ErrorExit(error, icon) {
              alert(error, scriptName, icon);
              exit();
          }

Hope it helps!

— Kas

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: script for adjusting table and cell properties

Thank u very much!!! it works u help me lot with this script, there is only one problem, which i have mentioned below, can u please solve this by modifying the same script...

Thanks in Advance

• 3. Re: script for adjusting table and cell properties

I have modified the script to adjust kerning and tracking value, and it works but it was not possible without ur script!!! thanks again...

modified script

table.cells.everyItem().texts[0].pointSize = "7 pt"; 

table.cells.everyItem().texts[0].leading = "8 pt"; 

table.cells.everyItem().texts[0].tracking = 0; 

table.cells.everyItem().texts[0].kerningValue = 0;

table.cells.everyItem().leftInset = table.cells.everyItem().rightInset = "1 mm"; 

table.cells.everyItem().topInset = table.cells.everyItem().bottomInset = "0.5 mm"; 

table.cells.everyItem().verticalJustification = VerticalJustification.CENTER_ALIGN; 

table.cells.everyItem().autoGrow = true; 

table.cells.everyItem().minimumHeight = "3.75 mm"; 

• 4. Re: script for adjusting table and cell properties
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I would do it with Table and Cell Styles, not with a script.

• 5. Re: script for adjusting table and cell properties

I cant create additional styles in my file because it is against policy of my project

• 6. Re: script for adjusting table and cell properties

I got 1 problem, can I apply this script to selected cells, because there is one row which I don't want these properties to be applied it as to be left as it is ...

Thanks in advance

• 7. Re: script for adjusting table and cell properties
                      Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

You wrote: "font size 7 and leading 8". So I thought you wanted to apply only these values.

Anyway, in JavaScript it is quite easy to make modifications by intuition -- even for those who are unfamiliar with coding.

Here's another version. You can select either the whole table, or one or more cells

Also, in this version you can Undo-Redo the whole script.

02-01-2017 18-06-20.png

var scriptName = "Table",
                      doc;

app.doScript(PreCheck, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, undefined, UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, "\"" + scriptName + "\" script");

//===================================== FUNCTIONS ======================================
                      function Main() {
                          if (app.selection[0].constructor.name == "Table") {
                              var cells = app.selection[0].cells.everyItem().getElements();

for (var i = 0; i < cells.length; i++) {
                                  ProcessCell(cells[i]);
                              }
                          }
                          else {
                              ProcessCell(app.selection[0]);
                          }
                      }
                      function ProcessCell(cell) {
                          cell.texts[0].pointSize = "7 pt";
                          cell.texts[0].leading = "8 pt";
                          cell.texts[0].tracking = 0;
                          cell.texts[0].kerningValue = 0;
                          cell.leftInset = cell.rightInset = "1 mm";
                          cell.topInset = cell.bottomInset = "0.5 mm";
                          cell.verticalJustification = VerticalJustification.CENTER_ALIGN;
                          cell.autoGrow = true;
                          cell.minimumHeight = "3.75 mm";    
                      }
                      function PreCheck() {
                          if (app.documents.length == 0) ErrorExit("Please open a document and try again.", true);
                          doc = app.activeDocument;
                          if (doc.converted) ErrorExit("The current document has been modified by being converted from older version of InDesign. Please save the document and try again.", true);
                          if (!doc.saved) ErrorExit("The current document has not been saved since it was created. Please save the document and try again.", true);
                          if (app.selection.length == 0) ErrorExit("Nothing is selected, Select some cells and try again.", true);
                          if (app.selection[0].constructor.name != "Cell" && app.selection[0].constructor.name != "Table") ErrorExit("Select a table, or one or more cells and try again.", true);
                          Main();
                      }
                      function ErrorExit(error, icon) {
                          alert(error, scriptName, icon);
                          exit();
                      }

— Kas

• 8. Re: script for adjusting table and cell properties

hello, thanks for your script, but when I select complete table i.e all rows and columns the all above properties get applied but when I select particular 5 cells or a single row of 6 cells the properties get applied to only first cell ( font size and line spacing do not get change after second cell )

• 9. Re: script for adjusting table and cell properties
                          Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

Hi there,

The script assumes that only a table should be selected. I don't remember why I did it since it was a couple of months ago.

Modify the line #8 like so:

if (app.selection[0].constructor.name == "Table" || app.selection[0].constructor.name == "Cell") {

This way it will work with selected cells as well.

— Kas

• 10. Re: script for adjusting table and cell properties

thanks it woks,

• 11. Re: script for adjusting table and cell properties

Untitled-1.jpg

can you please add more commands in scripts to keep value as per above highlighted...
                              ie vertical and horizontal scale as "100", baseline shift and character rotation as "0"