• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a tennis ball draw its trajectory?

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've got this physics video project in which I would like to show the difference between flat and topspin shots thanks to the Magnus effect. My idea is to make the tennis ball draw its trajectory so the difference can be clearly seen, but I'm new to AE and the best I have acheived is the end of a beam following the ball (looks like this):

1.png2.png

3.png4.png

5.png6.png

I used this tutorial to do it: How to make the end of a line follow an object (Adobe After Effects animation) - YouTube

Could someone explain step by step (if it isn't much trouble) how to do it? Instead of a straight line I'd like the ball to draw a curved trajectory that remains where it was drawn.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Instead of beam effect, use write-on effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of beam effect, use write-on effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! Works perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I am trying to do what you are doing but in terms of a tennis serve. Could you possibly guide me how to do what you did. I saw the youtube video, but it seems like you have made some adjustments. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would work this problem a little differently. It only takes a copy and paste plus setting the position value to 0, 0 to accurately turn any motion path created by keyframes into a shape layer path. Add Trim Paths, and you have your path traces the ball's path composition. 

Here's a new tutorial I just made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for this video!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines