1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 2, 2017 11:33 AM by dj_paige

My main Photo Library on external hard drive does not match my LR library

okiephotag

I recently moved 58,000 photos from Aperture to Lightroom. The originals were imported into LR on to an external hard drive and I made my folders in a folder named LR. I did not like the way that LR imported all of my photos into folders with the help of the Aperture plug in. I organize both by date (personal & family) and by photo shoot. I just want all of my 2002 personal photos in a 2002 folder. I want my Congo photos in the Congo folder. I do not want the dated subfolders that were created by LR during the import. So, I started moving the photos in the files on the external hard drive. When I opened LR, the folders in the catalog are not consistent with the folders on the external hard drive. And the photos that I moved are marked as missing on the thumbnail view. So there is some synchronization, but not it is not consistent. I would love some help. Thanks!

• 1. Re: My main Photo Library on external hard drive does not match my LR library
          dj_paige Level 9

It would help if you could show us a screen capture of the problem.

When you get the dated folders importing photos, this is because you selected the COPY or MOVE option in Lightroom's Import dialog box, and also selected dated folders. If you don't want dated folders, you should select ADD and then the imported photos will remain in the existing folder location.

Since you have already done some imports, you'd be much better off starting from scratch if possible, and creating a new catalog file and then re-importing the photos from Aperture using ADD so you don't get the dated folders.

. I just want all of my 2002 personal photos in a 2002 folder. I want my Congo photos in the Congo folder.

This, to me, is not a good set up. What happens to Congo photos when they are taken in a given year? Shouldn't they go in the folder for that year? How do you decide whether a photo goes in the Congo folder or a year folder? This makes no sense to me and seems like it is a method of creating confusion and dis-organization.

There is a much better way to handle this. use keywords and other metadata. Your Congo photos taken in 2012 can get keywords that indicate it was taken in the Congo, and the metadata in the file indicates the year. Thus, now, in Lightroom you can find folders both by Geography (Congo) and year, and additional other criteria as well. If you're starting out in Lightroom, you'd be wise to use Lightroom's strengths to help you organize, instead of using the weakness of folders to organize.