6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2017 9:35 AM by johnpredmore

Help Creating Cross-References Linked to Text Anchors

johnpredmore

Hi I'm fairly new to scripting so I'm having trouble modifying the following script. I've gotten it to do all I need to do except that I need to change the link type from URL to Text Anchor. Can you please help?

• 1. Re: Help Creating Cross-References Linked to Text Anchors
          johnpredmore Level 1

Here's the script if it didn't show up above for you

var myDoc = app.activeDocument; 

app.findGrepPreferences = app.changeGrepPreferences = null; 

app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = "a"; 

app.findGrepPreferences.appliedCharacterStyle = myDoc.characterStyles.item("Superscript");

app.findGrepPreferences.appliedParagraphStyle = myDoc.paragraphStyleGroups.item("Table").paragraphStyles.item("Table Title");

var myFound1 = myDoc.findGrep(); 

count = 0 

for(k=0; k<myFound1.length; k++) 

try{ 

var myFind = myFound1[k]; 

var myHyperlinkSource = app.activeDocument.hyperlinkTextSources.add(myFound1[k]) 

var myHyperlinkURLDestination = app.activeDocument.hyperlinkURLDestinations.add(myFound1[k].contents) 

var myHyperlink = app.activeDocument.hyperlinks.add(myHyperlinkSource, myHyperlinkURLDestination, {name: myFound1[k].contents+count++}) 

count++ 

}catch(e){} 

alert(count/2 + " Occurrences Changed")

• 2. Re: Help Creating Cross-References Linked to Text Anchors
            Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's indeed confusing that InDesign uses two different terms for the same object: text anchor and text destination.

Change "myHyperlinkURLDestination" to "myHyperlinkTextDestination" three times, and change "myFound1[k].contents" to "myFound1[k]"

var myHyperlinkTextDestination = app.activeDocument.hyperlinkTextDestinations.add (myFound1[k]);
            var myHyperlink = app.activeDocument.hyperlinks.add (myHyperlinkSource, myHyperlinkTextDestination, . . .);

Peter

• 3. Re: Help Creating Cross-References Linked to Text Anchors
              johnpredmore Level 1

Thanks for your response Peter, is the following the code you are proposing? I'm still not getting it to work; perhaps you can see where I'm messing up.

Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Help Creating Cross-References Linked to Text Anchors
                johnpredmore Level 1

Here's the script if it didn't show up above for you.

app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = "a"; 

app.findGrepPreferences.appliedCharacterStyle = myDoc.characterStyles.item("Superscript");

app.findGrepPreferences.appliedParagraphStyle = myDoc.paragraphStyleGroups.item("Table").paragraphStyles.item("Table Title");

count = 0 

try{ 

var myHyperlinkTextDestination = app.activeDocument.hyperlinkTextDestination.add(myFound1[k]);

var myHyperlink = app.activeDocument.hyperlinks.add (myHyperlinkSource, myHyperlinkTextDestination, {name: myFound1[k].contents+count++}); 

count++ 

}catch(e){} 

alert(count/2 + " Hyperlinks Were Created!") 

• 5. Re: Help Creating Cross-References Linked to Text Anchors
                  Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It should be app.activeDocument.hyperlinkTextDestinations.add (. . .) (mind the 's')

And you need to specify the source: links are from sources to destinations. What are you trying to link? You look for 'a' in a particular character and paragraph style, then you create an anchor at the found a's, then you create a link from somewhere to that a. Where is that 'somewhere'?

• 6. Re: Help Creating Cross-References Linked to Text Anchors
                    johnpredmore Level 1

Thanks for your explanation Peter; it really helped it click for me. I was trying to link to a "somewhere" (anchor tag) called "a".

Here's the code that worked for me based on your tip:

app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = "a"; // Grep for what you need to find

count = 0

{

try{

var myHyperlinkSource = app.activeDocument.hyperlinkTextSources.add(myFound1[k]) 

var myHyperlinkTextDestination = app.activeDocument.hyperlinkTextDestinations.item("a"); // Name of anchor to link to

var myHyperlink = app.activeDocument.hyperlinks.add (myHyperlinkSource, myHyperlinkTextDestination, {name: myFound1[k].contents+count++});

count++

}catch(e){}

}

alert(count/2 + " Hyperlink Cross-References Were Created!")

Thanks again Peter!