3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2006 9:45 AM by ntsiii

Newbie question

Level 7
      I am fascinated with Flex and have Flex Builder 1.5 and the developer
      edition of Flex Server. Where is a good place to start to learn how to
      program in MXML and in Flex Builder. I am starting from scratch with the
      language although I have been working in Dreamweaver for multiple years and
      traditionally program in Classic ASP and a little in Coldfusion.

Thanks for any information you can help. I am mostly looking for books and
      videos.

--
      Wally Kolcz
      Developer / Support
      ProjectProofing.com

• 1. Re: Newbie question
          GordonSmith Level 4
          Welcome to Flex! I strongly suggest that you start instead with Flex 2 Beta 3. It's a lot better because it uses a newer and much improved version of the Flash Player, which includes a new language, ActionScript 3. It's different enough from Flex 1.5 and ActionScript 2 that you'll have to un-learn a lot of stuff if you start with an earlier version.

There are very few books on Flex so far, and I don't know of any videos. I would rely for now on the Adobe documentation, which is very extensive, and especially on examples such as the Flex Explorer which show you how to get started with lots of relatively simple but important aspects of Flex.

I would also subscribe to the Flexcoders list which is very active, with both newbies and experts involved.
          • 2. Re: Newbie question
            Level 7
            Thanks for the heads up. I am installing Flex builder 2 right now.

Yeah, I only found one book on the market so far and I am reading all the
            manuals and docs that macromedia can supply.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Newbie question
              ntsiii Level 3
              I agree entirely. I am a longtime 1.5 guy and have just started with 2.0, and it is much simpler to get started with.

Be sure to visit the http://labs.adobe.com/

It has lots of docs, links, and other helpful stuff for us beginners.

Tracy