7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2017 1:17 PM by George_Salnik

Aligning Text Frames to Spine with Facing Pages

JCD2013 Level 1

This is my first time creating a highly-detailed document in InDesign that is in bound format with threaded text frames with sections, a table of contents, etc. I've reached an issue that I can't seem to fix.

My document is a two-page spread with facing pages (book-style format with a spine). Each page has 0.5" margins on all sides with two columns: a smaller column of 1.5" and a larger column of 5.75" with a 0.25" gutter. The larger column is situated toward the spine with the smaller column on the outside. My primary text frame for every page is within the larger column and spans the entire width of this larger column (see image). The text frames are included in the master and I override them on each page (Cmd+click) to insert my copy. The smaller column is only used for anchored objects (similar to callouts) that reflow with the text.

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 12.27.22 PM.png

The problem i'm facing is that when I insert a new page, because I have uneven columns and facing pages, the primary text box is out of position when the pages shuffle (see image).

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 12.36.02 PM.png

I really need these text boxes to stay aligned toward the spine because the document is huge and it's a big waste of time to have to reposition each text box individually on every page. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you in advance!