10 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2017 3:29 PM by MNIKKILA

After Effects 2017 won't batch replace

zvi_t

In all previous versions of After Effects (before 2017) when you had a bin of files that were offline, you could just replace the first one with a new location and as long as there were other files there with the same format and name, After Effects would automatically replace them all.

AE CC 2015:

2015.png

But I just tried this in AE 2017 and it replaced the only ONE file and didn't replace the rest as it used to. Is there a setting I don't know about?

AE 2017:

2017.png

• 1. Re: After Effects 2017 won't batch replace
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
          when you had a bin of files that were offline, you could just replace the first one with a new location and as long as there were other files there with the same format and name, After Effects would automatically replace them all.

name (and format) and relative LOCATION of the files has to be the same as when the project was constructed. if you changed folder names or moved files around you would still have to find them manually.

is this comparison you show based on the exact same project?

show us full screenshots of your Ae interface of both apps while you compare.

• 2. Re: After Effects 2017 won't batch replace
            zvi_t Level 1

Yes, it's the exact same project. I do not have a screenshot because I've completed the project already.

It is not correct that it needs to be in the same location. I have been doing this for over 10 years with all versions of AE... new client gives me images, I rename the files sequentially, replace the 001.jpg in AE and AE will replace all the rest - even if the new jpges are in a completely different location.

As you see in the original screenshots, the images I'm replacing are in a different location and 2015 found them all and 2017 didn't.

• 3. Re: After Effects 2017 won't batch replace
              It is not correct that it needs to be in the same location

as I said, it has to be in the relative location in your hard drive. meaning if all the files are in the same folder as before this should work fine. if you had 001.jpg in folder "Photos" but moved files around to different folders, you will have to find them manually. anyways, this does not seem to be the case of a user error since it appears you know what you are doing so if you think you have discovered a bug and can reproduce it please tell us how and also you can submit it here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

As you see in the original screenshots, the images I'm replacing are in a different location and 2015 found them all and 2017 didn't.

we can't see the location of the old or the new files in those screenshots

• 4. Re: After Effects 2017 won't batch replace
                zvi_t Level 1

"we can't see the location of the old or the new files in those screenshots"

Trust me, I opened the same project file in 2015 and 2017 for the sake of asking this question.

This is either a bug or maybe Adobe intentionally changed this function of AE for whatever reason.

p.s. the files do NOT have to be in a relevant location. They can be on separate hard drives and different file structures. Try it and see. Only the file names need to be the same.

• 5. Re: After Effects 2017 won't batch replace

Trust me, I opened the same project file in 2015 and 2017 for the sake of asking this question.

I was referring to the fact you wrote we can see different locations and we can't. I Implied that I do trust you know what you are doing. Adobe did not add a new function that I think is related but let's first recreate this. if you think you can recreate this then please do.

p.s. the files do NOT have to be in a relevant location. They can be on separate hard drives and different file structures. Try it and see. Only the file names need to be the same.

I am sure there is a misunderstanding here. I wrote from the start - "RELATIVE". not "relevant". meaning if you had all the photos in folder called "Photos" and then changed the file structure and move files around for example 001.jpg in folder "Photos" and 002.jpg in folder "Photos2" and so on - you will have to manually add them. but as I said, this is probably not the case so let's find out what it is. I was not able to reproduce this problem on my system please try to prepare a recipe so we can see how this exactly is happening.

• 6. Re: After Effects 2017 won't batch replace
                    zvi_t Level 1

These are the steps I took to show the bug. Bellow are the screenshots of the steps:

1. Create folder C:\000 and folder P:\111

2. Put 5 different images in each folder.

3. Rename the images in each folder as follows: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

4. Open AE 2015 (or any version prior to 2017)

5. Import the 5 images from C:\000

6. Save and close AE.

7. Rename folder C:\000 to C:\0001

8. Open the AE project file in AE 2015.

9. The images will be offline.

10. Double click on image 5 and choose to replace it with image 5 from P:\111

11. AE will replace ALL the images with the NEW images in P:\111

12. Close AE and DO NOT save (so we can test in 2017)

13. Open the AE project file in AE 2017.

14. The 5 images will be offline.

15. Double click on image 5 and choose to replace it with image 5 from P:\111

16. AE 2017 will replace ONLY image 5. The other 4 images will still be offline.

So is this a bug in AE 2017?

001.png

002.png

003.png

004.png

005.png

006.png

007.png

008.png

• 7. Re: After Effects 2017 won't batch replace

Thank you. Yes, I see now this is a bug. it appears the new Jpeg importer is causing this. about it here: Re: AE CC 2017 - BIG Bug interpreting the FPS of the sequence of images

notice the old project is successfully imported as jpegs

and the new is imported as Jpegimporter

I thought the workaround would be to change the format type to Jpeg instead importerJpeg when replacing

But No. does not work.

please file a bug report and link to this thread. I will do the same:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Thank you for breaking after effects.

• 8. Re: After Effects 2017 won't batch replace
                        zvi_t Level 1

I already filled out a report and gave them a link to this thread. Thank you.

• 9. Re: After Effects 2017 won't batch replace
                          teresal91015646

I have the exact same problem.  All the files will be located except the JPEGs...those I have to do one at a time.

• 10. Re: After Effects 2017 won't batch replace
                            MNIKKILA Level 1

I actually am having the same issue. But with .ai layers.

I had to go through and relink them all one by one.

Thank god it found other layers within on .ai file.

But others couldn't populate. Meaning it should have found 100's of others but couldn't.