5 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2006 4:43 PM by Craig Grummitt

Accessibility question

abeall Level 3
      Can values set via the Accessibility panel be accessed via AS? The _accProps property is by default 'undefined' for every object/movieclip, even if you have specified values(ex. name/description) for a MovieClip via the Accessibility panel.

Also, I'm unable to get the OSX screen reader to do anything for me in Flash. Anybody know anything bout that?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Accessibility question
          abeall Level 3
          A quick search reveals that there aren't alot of questions around here regarding Accessibility
          • 2. Accessibility question
            Craig Grummitt Level 3
            yes values can be accessed. see livedocs <- have edited link CG

debug your movie and you should be able to see any property contained within _accprops in the debug window.

don't know much about native screen readers that work with browsers on the mac coz i've looked and not been able to find one on mine. i have read about voiceover for tiger though...

Craig
            • 3. Re: Accessibility question
              abeall Level 3
              Thanks.

> yes values can be accessed. see livedocs
              That link wouldn't open. What document were you referring to? I've read the docs quite a bit...

> debug your movie and you should be able to see any property contained within
              > _accprops in the debug window.
              That's how I would expect it to work also, but as I said it does not. The _accProps is undefined if you use the Accessibility panel. According to the docs, if you delete an _accProps from an object, rather than removing all accessibility properties it reverts to whatever was set in the Accessibility panel, if anything. Very unintuitive. It doesn't look like accessing properties that have been set via the Accessibility panel is possible.
              • 4. Re: Accessibility question
                abeall Level 3
                > That's how I would expect it to work also, but as I said it does not. The _accProps
                > is undefined if you use the Accessibility panel.
                I spoke too soon; I just make a blank document and tested this, and it appears to work. Something else must be amiss in my original project -- which is very confusing, but not at all surprising.

Thanks.
                • 5. Accessibility question
                  Craig Grummitt Level 3
                  I've edited the link - should work now - it's just a link to the _accprops help doc.
                  Something i overlooked when i first started with accessibility is that every time you edit accessibility properties of a movie-clip or movieclips you need the line:

Accessibility.updateProperties();

good luck!
                  c