1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 5, 2017 1:31 AM by Loic.Aigon

Data transfer from certain xls fields to indd project. Is it possible?

Martynas747

Hello,

Every quarter of the year I have the time consuming job which involves copying a lot of data from xls file to indd project. In addition most of the data should be converted from the numbers to the graphs. What I am doing now is making the conversion from the xls to the pdf, opening it with the Illustrator and copying the charts and the other data to my indd project. I want to eliminate hundreds of "operations ctrl+c / ctrl+v"  made by hand

Is there any script or the other way when the indd document fields would take the data from the certain fields of the xls document. Some data should be automatically converted to the desired chart design (for e.g. pie charts, line charts, ect.)?

• 1. Re: Data transfer from certain xls fields to indd project. Is it possible?
          Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional

You can create dynamic graphs within Illustrator ( ithink XLS is a possible source of data).  Then load them within AI. The point is that as it's dynamic, you can have data changes and update graphics first in Ai then Indesign.

I don't know 100% indesign solution. Charts can be achieved with some tools like Chartwell (a font), Claquos (a script from InDiscripts.com) or possibly EasyCatalog (bars essentially, possibly pie charts in combination with chartwell).

FWIW

Loic

2 people found this helpful