Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM File Causes FrameMaker 2015 to Crash

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using FrameMaker 2015 and I am trying to open an FM Book that was created in FrameMaker 11. Everything works well until it gets to Chapter Four. When it tries to load the FM file for the chapter, FrameMaker freezes with the following error message:

When I click OK, FrameMaker shuts down without any explanation of the error or about how to fix the corrupted(?) file.

The file was created in Structure Frame. I am using Adobe FrameMaker Structured to try to open it. I am open to suggestions about how to open and fix the FM file. I can't even get into it to view the contents. Every instance of the file causes the crash - the main FM file, the backup FM file, the archive FM filem, and the VSS copy of the file.

Added: In Preferences, I changed from Structured FrameMaker to FrameMaker (unstructured). In doing so, I could open the file, but I get a warning that the file has structured information  and that it will be lost if I continue. It gives me an option to open for viewing or to open for editing. At least I can view the contents of the file, but now I have to reconstruct the file to continue to use it in the book. I really do not want to go through 100+ pages of formatting and tagging to regain the structure.

Please help me if you can. It is a 538K file with only a little graphics, so that would be a major rewrite.

Sonny Boyd

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try writing a conversion table to take the paragraph styles and at least map them to some elements. Opening in unstructured is the only method I know of to fix files like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sonny,

This sounds like a difficult situation. I don't have any ideas of what else you could do. Would you be willing to share the file? If so, I would be happy to try it on my computer. I have all recent versions of FM except 2017. If I got lucky, maybe I could convert it to a MIF or something for you.

russ at weststreetconsulting dot com

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sonny,

I experienced a very similar issue, and it had nothing to do with the file itself as it turned out.

I got the following troubleshooting steps from Adobe support, and they seem to be helping with my files.

Try this first:

• Close Framemaker.
  • Open Windows Explorer and navigate to your hard drive (C drive usually) > Users> [your user name] > AppData>Roaming>Adobe>Framemaker
  • You will see two folders called "13" and "CQ"
  • Rename "CQ" to "CQold" and rename "13" to "13old"

What you just did: cleared your Framemaker cashe so to speak.

Now, open the Framemaker.

You'll see that your workspace is back to the default settings and your preferences will need to be setup all over again.

However, you would be able to open your troublesome files or files in Structured Framemaker.

Do the following next:

• As you open the file, before you do anything else, go to View > Element Boundaries (as Tags)
  • Ensure that Element Boundaries (as Tags) or any other ones are NOT selected.

Apparently the issue arises, when we view our structured files with the Element Boundaries option and attempt to access cross-references option from the menu (be it from Special>cross-references or elsewhere). Even scrolling down past a cross-reference while in the view with Element Boundaries tags on, would cause my files to crash in the past.

What I do now:

I work with Element Boundaries view off for the most part. If I need to see where I am in between the tags:

• I turn on the Element Boundaries view,
  • Position my mouse where it needs to be,
  • Turn off the Element Boundaries view
  • Continue to work on my file.

Occasionally, Framemaker crashes still, but not as often. When it happens, I clear my cache as described above, and then I am good for a day or two again.

It is my understanding that the issue is with Framemaker itself, and hopefully will be addressed in the upcoming releases.

I have also noticed that every time my Windows get updated, something in Framemaker stops working, and I need to clear cache again.

Hope the above info helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent suggestion. I will try that and see how it all works.

Please contact me if you have questions or need more information.

Regards,

Sonny Boyd

[Personal info removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Instead of toggling Element Boundaries on and off, try using the Structure View window. It will allow you to place the insertion point in the desired location (except for large text expanses, then you can use the Home, End, and arrow keys to refine cursor positon).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines