5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2017 4:48 PM by Bill Gehrke

I need to upgrade my computer...any suggestions?

BryVar Level 1

DELL Windows 7 64-bit

System Model: Precision Work Station T7500

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R)CPU e5607 @ 2.27GHz (8 CRPs)

Memory: 12288MB RAM

Two 2TB hard drives in the computer, and I have a NVIDIA Quadro 4000 graphic card

I use both Premiere Pro and After Effects CC 2017 for all my videos. I was told that my CPU and GPU were slow to today's standards.

What parts would I need to upgrade where I am now?

• 1. Re: I need to upgrade my computer...any suggestions?
          rylandc23229871 Level 2

Are you looking to upgrades certain parts of your computer or just a whole new system? If you are looking for just specific parts I would say your GPU first, as you can tell premiere to use your GPU for rendering purposes

• 2. Re: I need to upgrade my computer...any suggestions?
            BryVar Level 1

I work for a corporation and they buy the equipment, If a band new computer is what I need I would have to let them know what type of computer and specs to look for. I know about the GTX 1080 graphic card and how that its the best card on the market, but I need to let my superiors know what all they need to look for in a computer so they can buy the right one for video editing. What's a good brand? Whats a good processor? What specs would they need to look for, that's my question.

• 3. Re: I need to upgrade my computer...any suggestions?
              rylandc23229871 Level 2

Well personally I prefer to do custom PC's as they are just cheaper in the long run. But as your corporation would buy it for you then a prebuilt workstation is probably the best bet. For video editing I would recommend an SSD for an internal hard drive, allows premiere to read and write files a lot faster. For a processor an I7 or Xeon both work great for editing, I7's have been out performing Xeon's recently,  but if this machine is solely for editing I would go with a Xeon processor,  but if you plan to do other just work things then I would go with an I7. Minimum of 16gb of ram, more never hurts but anything less and performance might suffer. For the GPU go with an NVIDIA card, a 1080 would do you more than well but they are also pretty pricey. I would say though for whatever GPU you get make sure it has at least 4gb dedicated memory.

• 4. Re: I need to upgrade my computer...any suggestions?
                rylandc23229871 Level 2

And you will need a big power supply, but if its a prebuilt machine the manufacturer will put a PSU that will power everything, but shoot for 1000w or more, don't settle for less

• 5. Re: I need to upgrade my computer...any suggestions?
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why don't you check with Dell and see if that unit can be upgraded to something like a LGA 1366 CPU like an i7-980x with 6 cores and hyperthreading.. Unfortunately the motherboard is a PCIe 2.0 older generation which only has SATA ii 3Gbits/second disk interfaces so the only hope is a complete new unit.