3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2017 11:53 AM by dj_paige

Why Do I Have Shut and Open Lightroom To Move a Folder With Photos In It?

AND Marketing

I'm current using Lightroom CC Version 2015.8 on my Mac with Yosemite Version 10.10.5. When I move a folder with photos to another sub folder, I get question mark "?" by the folder I tried move from, and it doesn't show I moved it in the new sub folder. If I close out LR and open LR, it has moved it and the question and file goes away. I do I prevent this from happening in the future?

The first screen shot shows when I move the folder to Crickshank.., and the second screen shot shows after I close and open LR.

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 9.32.33 AM.png  Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 9.34.39 AM.png

• 1. Re: Why Do I Have Shut and Open Lightroom To Move a Folder With Photos In It?
          dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom is NOT a file browser.

When you move photos using your operating system, Lightroom does not know that you have done this, and so it can't find the photos and so it shows the folder and photos as missing.

If I close out LR and open LR, it has moved it and the question and file goes away. I do I prevent this from happening in the future?

I have never seen this happen, although clearly it is happening to you, so I cannot explain this. As far as I know it should not do this. As far as I know, when a folder is missing, restarting Lightroom does not make the folder un-missing. Are you sure you didn't do anything else other than shut LR down and then re-open it?

I would however, recommend a workflow that doesn't require moving photos or folders from here to there. It is much easier if you just put the photos in the folder you want them to reside in forever, and not move them again. This eliminates work, and it eliminates the possibility of human errors. (EXCEPTION: if you need to move the photos to a new disk or new computer, then you move them)

• 2. Re: Why Do I Have Shut and Open Lightroom To Move a Folder With Photos In It?
            AND Marketing Level 1

I'm having to move many folders with photos in them, because I'm reorganizing the folders/photos in this catalog.

• 3. Re: Why Do I Have Shut and Open Lightroom To Move a Folder With Photos In It?
              dj_paige Level 9

AND Marketing wrote:

I'm having to move many folders with photos in them, because I'm reorganizing the folders/photos in this catalog.

In my opinion, this is a sub-optimal approach. You would be better off in the long run producing a more powerful organization using keywords and other metadata, and leaving the photos and folders where they are.