7 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2006 10:06 AM by inlineblue

Cost of Deploying Flex 2.0 Apps

jfillman Level 1
      Don't get me wrong, I think Flex 2.0 is about the most amazing app development tool to date and I am extremely eager to build and deploy applications with it. My question revolves around the cost of doing this.

I'm working on a range of internet and intranet applicationsin CF and would love to put Flex on the front-end. My concern is the intranet applications. This is largely small office apps and the cost to purchase MySQL and ColdFusion costs more than I would be able to market the application for. Will remoting work with the CF Developer's Edition? Does Adobe even allow commercial apps to run on the developers version?

Basically, I can't get around purchasing MySQL and that cost will work, but if I have to buy a Standard Version of CF for most every application I sell, it's not worth it.

What are my alternatives? http services? Adobe suggests it's slower. Is it noticeable? Slowness is death to any application, web or not.
        • 1. Re: Cost of Deploying Flex 2.0 Apps
          inlineblue Level 1
          You're not allowed to deploy apps with CF developer edition. You can't really do it anyway cause the developer edition accepts requests only from 2 external IP addresses.

While remoting is great (and I'm a big fan), it's not entirely necessary. Web and HTTP services are decent alternatives. While SOAP calls (webservices) are slower than AMF (remoting), it isn't really noticeable if you've got small to moderate sized messages. SOAP is an industry standard, after all, so it has worked for many people.

If you must go with remoting, you might want to consider Flex Data Services. There is a free version of FDS that limits the number of connections, but that should be fine for small office apps. It may not meet your needs, though, since it's not a full application server like CF.
          • 2. Re: Cost of Deploying Flex 2.0 Apps
            jfillman Level 1
            Thank you this is quite helpful. A few follow-up questions if you don't mind. Has Adobe yet announced what the limit will be on FDS? Does it completely remove the need for CF? What does CF give me that FDS does not?
            • 3. Re: Cost of Deploying Flex 2.0 Apps
              Level 7
              Also, MySQL is free, so that shouldn't be a cost factor.

• 4. Re: Cost of Deploying Flex 2.0 Apps
                jfillman Level 1
                MySQL is only free if I make my applications ooen source. The primary app I'm developing will not be deployed as open source, and the cost is about $600 per license.
                • 5. Re: Cost of Deploying Flex 2.0 Apps
                  inlineblue Level 1
                  Unfortunately, Adobe has not announced the limitations of free FDS, but they have stated that it would be sufficient to run small-scale applications (ya, that doesn't necessarily mean anything).

FDS is designed to be a data server. Its interface is centred around CRUD operations (create, read, update, delete) so there's no convenient way to implement business logic. I suppose it's possible since all the real work is done by Java classes you create yourself, but I haven't looked into it much.
                  • 6. Re: Cost of Deploying Flex 2.0 Apps
                    jfillman Level 1
                    I haven't played with Web or HTTP services before, I've isolated myself in ColdFusion. It seems HTTP services and Web Services are the same thing. I suppose it depends on who you ask, but is there a preferred Web Service for connecting to MySQL? I don't use Java, Apache, or PHP which seem to be the most common MySQL webservices. Haven't researched in detail, but I believe that Java and Apache have costs associated for a commercial application. Not sure about PHP. Are there better options?
                    • 7. Re: Cost of Deploying Flex 2.0 Apps
                      inlineblue Level 1
                      You might say that web services are customized HTTP services. Web services add the SOAP protocol on top of HTTP so you can have organized functions, arguments, return values, etc.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any costs associated with Java, Apache, or PHP. They've all got open, royalty-free licenses. Incidentally, Apache is the webserver. You would implement your solution in either Java (JSP) or PHP and it would be hosted via Apache (as far as I know). These days, PHP is the most popular because it's open source and relatively simple to use ( and I believe supported by Apache out of the box). There probably aren't any better free solutions.