2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2017 8:13 AM by Karl Heinz Kremer

Editing image within PDF

myndiek70644953

Hello!

I'm new to Acrobat and semi-new to graphic design. I was recently hired as a graphic designer for this coupon magazine publication. I've done graphic design, but never have created spreads for magazines. I was kind of thrown into a storm after their previous designer didn't work out, so I am learning Acrobat and designing a magazine spread on the fly.

I've managed to create a two-page layout in Acrobat. I have been able to add a background image, add text, as well as most of the images. I feel like I'm missing something because I can't figure out how to take this one image and resize it to fit the space I need. This image was given to me by the client as 'cam ready,'  meaning, as a designer I didn't need to do anything to it. Even though they paid for a quarter of a page, horizontal ad, the image they gave me will not fit correctly in the space in my PDF. I try to resize it and it's stretched and squished. Is there a way for me to fix this?

Perhaps a graphic designer could help me out. I would really appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

• 1. Re: Editing image within PDF
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Don't use Acrobat for this. Use InDesign and export as PDF.

• 2. Re: Editing image within PDF
            Karl Heinz Kremer Adobe Community Professional

Adobe Acrobat is not a publishing tool, it's a tool to manipulate PDF files, which also are not suited to creating your layout. You should be working in a design package (e.g. Adobe InDesign - or if you absolutely have to in MS Publisher), place the files that you've received from your customers and then at the end export to PDF. If you then need to make minor adjustments just before going to press, you can then use Acrobat to e.g. fix a typo, nudge a graphic, change a color, ... but the majority of the work should have been done in an application that was actually built for that purpose.

When you say your image gets "stretched and squished", I assume you mean that width and height are not scaled the same way, and you end up with a non-proportialal scaling. You can get around this by holding down the shift key while you resize your image. This will retain the original aspect ratio.