5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2017 10:38 AM by oksamurai

Can't get arms to attach cleanly.

susyjewelry Level 1

Hi. I'm currently trying to create a Hula dancer. So many problems!! So many layers!!! I want everything to move with the body...hair, flower lay, grass skirt etc. But first thing first. I can't get my arms to move without detaching from the body! At first I had the arm layers behind the dancer's torso layer. I thought it was good until I tried to puppet the arms. The hands couldn't move in front of the dancer. So, I re-drew the arm sockets so that the arm layers could sit above the torso's layers. Now, even after stapling the arms to the body...It pulls away, leaving gaps. Finally, I made the arm layers part of the torso. Of course now, when I move the arms the body goes with them. Any other suggestions??

P.S. I'm also having issues with the grass skirt, flower-lay and hair. It's a layering issue again.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Can't get arms to attach cleanly.
          oksamurai Employee Moderator

Watch about 4 minutes into this video, I think it will help. To me it sounds like you have independence issues happening with the arms and body:

As for the other stuff, if you want to post your puppet here as a Creative Cloud / Dropbox / Google Drive link we can take a look.

• 2. Re: Can't get arms to attach cleanly.
            susyjewelry Level 1

Thanks! I've watched all your videos and can't wait to dig in more into the program.

It turns out that I had to redraw the arms and torso again to give them enough "stretch room"? It still stretches a bit odd but not as badly as before. I originally tried pinning the arms (when staple didn't work well) and the arms pulled away from the body like taffy (leaving gaps between the body and the arm where it wasn't connected). My revised puppet looks much better but still needs work.

Now to tackle the lay. If attached to the head it looks like earring. When attached to the body...it tends to detach itself from the body.

I wonder if there will be a book? It would be nice to have some written instructions with links to the online examples? Maybe an E-user guide??

Thanks much! Keep up the good work. I havn't been this excited about learning a new application since learning After Effects.

• 3. Re: Can't get arms to attach cleanly.

No books that I know of yet, but there are a few more in depth user guides here: Adobe Character Animator CC (Beta) Learn & Support

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can't get arms to attach cleanly.
                susyjewelry Level 1

Thanks! The puppet is looking much better. Now I do have a suggestion for the software though. It would be nice if there were a way to set movement parameters for dragger handles. I added a dragger to my puppet's hip so she can dance the hula. However, it is SUPER sensitive and distorts too easily. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks much!

Susy Garner

Adobe Creative Cloud

• 5. Re: Can't get arms to attach cleanly.

Agreed. Rigidity to sticks would be awesome, so you could make them as strong as steel or stretchy as rubber. It's a very common request - I hope we add it too!