2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2008 8:16 PM by abeall

Blink the Windows taskbar?

abeall Level 3
      I can see you can bounce the dock... can you blink the Windows taskbar? I thought I remember something generic like InteractiveIcon.notify() which would handle the platform specific method (bounce the dock icon, blink the taskbar item)? Is that not the case?

Also, I can see I can get an application which runs in the Windows system tray, but is it possible to get an application running in the OSX system tray?
        • 1. Re: Blink the Windows taskbar?
          Joe ... Ward Level 4
          The somewhat-matching function to the dock bounce on Windows is the NativeWindow notifyUser() function.

And, no, you cannot use the OS X system tray.
          • 2. Re: Blink the Windows taskbar?
            abeall Level 3
            Ah, interesting. Thanks. So notifyUser is specific to Windows, right?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how to make this cross platform. It looks like there's still a need to write platform specific code. If I made an application that ran in the Windows system tray, for instance, I'd have to come up with alternative behavior (run in the dock with no windows open?) on Mac. If I want to notify the user something happened, I have to bounce the dock and blink the taskbar. And what about Linux?

Maybe it's not feasible because of OS differences, but I was expecting some APIs that would handle the differences for me, ie the usual way to "notify the user" on Windows, Mac, Linux, the usual way to "run in the background", etc. I suppose it would not be too terribly difficult to write a simple framework myself, but I'm not familiar with Linux and I don't have a Mac (or Linux) maching to test on anymore, so I don't feel I can write any code for those platforms at all.