2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2017 10:30 AM by JimHess

Moving Photos off Computer/LR

TaylorL92 Level 1

I've been using Lightroom for a while. I would like to move photos off of my computer (on to an external hard drive) but I do not want to lose them from Lightroom. Is this possible? In the past when I've accidentally deleted photos I've gotten the ? when trying to go back to the photo in LR because it could not find the photo. What's the best way to do this without losing the photos in LR? (Feel free to explain this to me in the most simple terms possible! I won't be offended!)

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Moving Photos off Computer/LR
          dj_paige Level 9

I've been using Lightroom for a while. I would like to move photos off of my computer (on to an external hard drive) but I do not want to lose them from Lightroom. Is this possible?

Yes!

What's the best way to do this without losing the photos in LR? (Feel free to explain this to me in the most simple terms possible! I won't be offended!)

Best way: in this document, scroll down to "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" and follow the directions carefully. Although the author doesn't exactly state this, the easiest thing to do is to copy your entire folder hierarchy to the external HD unchanged (do not move folders or photos around within the hierarchy) and then Update Folder Location of the top level folder.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Moving Photos off Computer/LR
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Notice that it was suggested that you COPY your entire image folder structure to the external hard drive. Then, after you update the folder location and everything is running properly, you can delete the folder structure and images on the computer hard drive.

1 person found this helpful