4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2017 6:27 PM by rjpiekos

.MOV files opened in PS appear as backgroud

rjpiekos

Window 10Pro

PS CC

I mistakenly took some photos on my iPhone 6s as a short movie (.MOV)  so I need to extract a jpg photo from the .MOV file. When I go into PS and open the .MOV file, the program shows all of the appropriate PS video editing tools but the actual picture is just a transparent background (white/gray checkerboard). if I open the same file in windows is see everything so I know there are images in the file (I don't care about the audio).

Is my file corrupt in some way or are the settings in PS wrong (which ones?). This does not happen to all .MOV files. I could have several that open correctly then the next few will have this issue.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

• 1. Re: .MOV files opened in PS appear as backgroud
          D.A.R Adobe Community Professional

Check the opacity of the layer. You may have inadvertently reduced the opacity.

In the Timeline do you see a preview image of the video?Screenshot 2017-01-10 20.21.50.png

Have you tried placing the .mov file into a document instead of opening directly. Then click Create video Timeline in the Timeline Panel.

if you want to share a file Id be happy to see if I get the same result. (possibly confirming corruption)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: .MOV files opened in PS appear as backgroud
            rjpiekos Level 1

Thanks for responding.

• as you can see, opacity is ok and there is no preview image.
            • not sure what you mean by "into a document instead of opening directly. Then click Create video Timeline in the Timeline Panel."
            • tried to share image but adobe says that the file type is "Forbidden"

thanks for your help. If I can share the file some other way, please let me know.

• 3. Re: .MOV files opened in PS appear as backgroud
              D.A.R Adobe Community Professional
              • not sure what you mean by "into a document instead of opening directly. Then click Create video Timeline in the Timeline Panel."

Create a new image. Dimension somewhat irrelevant.

From the File Menu.

File > Place Embedded...

Navigate to the movie file and place.

In the Timeline Panel you should see an option to "Create Vide Timeline"

As for sharing the file. Try a service like Dropbox and share the link or PM the link to me.

• 4. Re: .MOV files opened in PS appear as backgroud
                rjpiekos Level 1

DAR

Thank you for your suggestions. Per a post from R_Kelly who had the same problem , I installed Quick Time Essentials and now the .MOV files open up properly in PS. I appreciate your help.

RP