3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2008 9:44 AM by heathrowe

Multiple Pages - Practical Limit?

kohudson
      Hello,

I've been using Fireworks for the first time to create a mockup of a new web site. As I've added additional pages to the site I've noticed things slowing down some. Is there a practical limit on the number of pages you should have in a single png file? I'm not sure if I should continue what I'm doing and have all the pages for my site in one file (probably about 40 in total) or whether I should create multiple files with a lower page number in each. Does it matter? Any suggestions?

Thanks! Ken
        • 1. Re: Multiple Pages - Practical Limit?
          pixlor Level 4
          Forty pages?!? How big is that file? Probably what's slowing things down is the sheer file size compared to the amount of memory in your machine. When your memory needs exceed your RAM, your computer uses your hard drive as extra memory to store the info and, for big files, that can be very slow.

On Windows, call up Task Manager (right-click on an empty space on your task bar and select it) and check your Performance. If you don't have much free memory with this file open, then you should definitely break it apart.

If you're working on that many pages, however, it might be more efficient to build a template in Dreamweaver.
          • 2. Re: Multiple Pages - Practical Limit?
            kohudson Level 1
            40 pages is the approximate size when I'm done - not the current size. I currently have about 15 pages in my file. The actual file size is only about 3mb right now so it's not that big. I'm just trying to figure out if there's some sort of practical limit or recommended limit on the number of pages. Fireworks gives you the ability to create multiple pages. So, how many pages are reasonable? How do people manage the organization of an entire site mockup in Fireworks? A single file? Multiple files? What are the guidelines?

Thanks, Ken
            • 3. Re: Multiple Pages - Practical Limit?
              heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
              There are no real guidelines, per say, but ultimately you want to create enough pages to provide a good representation of final site/product.

To do that, consider the following workflow options:
              - Use a Master page to contain 'elements' that will be consistant across all pages. This cuts back on repeating graphical objects/elements in your document.
              - Use Shared Layers Across Pages feature. This can also reduce 'overhead' on your final file.
              - Make use of symbols, and instances of symbols, that can either be on the Master and/or Shared Layers.

If you look at the 40 page specification you have, focus on the pages that are 'different' in layout and structure. Also, assuming, many of them will be the same, except for content/markup, it would be just a matter of replicating one of the pages in your favorite html editor for the remaining pages. Hope this makes some sense.

h