10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2017 11:48 AM by Szalam

Ram Preview Problems (Cached Preview needs 2 or more frames to playback)

cyperfection Level 1

Hi there,

this has been asked before, but none of the given solutions solved the problem for me.

As soon as my projects get a little bigger, Playback is limited to just a couple of frames, before it jumps back to the first cached frame.

On my current project, most of the time playback doesn't even start but prompts me with the message:

After Effects error: Cached Preview needs 2 ore more frames to playback (actually the german version of it: After-Effects Fehler: Wiedergabe einer Cache-Vorschau benötigt mindestens 2 Frames.)

When this Error occurs, After Effects only uses about 2.5 - 5 Gig of the installed 16 Gig RAM, although i set it up to use 12.

CPU usage is arround 15%

No other CC applications are running, browsers are closed.

On this specific project, i have a couple of audio layers and 4K Video Footage (XAVC-S / .mp4 from a Sony A7SII)

The "rewinding" Playback after just a few frames also occurs on projects that have no video footage but are done fully within After Effects.

My PC Specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz
      16 Gig Ram

AMD FirePro W5100 (FireGL V)

After Effects CC 14.0.1.5

Windows and After Effects running on a 232 Gig SSD with currently 36,5 Gig available space.

Some of my footage is on this Drive, most is on a regular HDD (450 Gig/360 available)

What i already tried:

- Raising the allowed RAM from 8 Gig to 12.

- Purching the Disc Cache (Its currently set to 15, but raising it didn't change the result)

- Cleared Databank and Cache

- Unchecked "Reduce Cache Size when system is low on memory"

- Reduced Viewer resolution to Quater and turned on "Fast Preview"

- And of course i closed, reopened and restarted the PC...multiple times.

Thank you!