Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flip animation horizontally

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!
I have made a lower third in After Effects CC 2017, which come into the screen from the left. Now i want to make the same animation come into the screen from the right. Therefore i would like to know if there is anyway to flip this lower third with all it's keyframes, or somehow mirror it - without flipping or mirroring the text (or at least  end up with the possibility to animate only the text again). I hope you can help me with this one! Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

1. Precomp the entire lower third

Open scale properties for the comp - click unlink

set the x property to -100

go into the comp and do the same thing on the text layer, so your text won't be backwards.

another option

2. Precomp

Make the layer 3d

rotate the y axis 180 degrees

go into comp, and do the same thing to the text layer so the text won't be backwards.

Another option

3. Precomp

right click on precomp, (or go to layer menu) > transform > flip horizontally
Then use one of the above methods to flip

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on your animation. If you are talking position then you can possibly copy the position keyframes, delete them, then paste to the Anchor Point. This will only work if the layer is the same size as the comp.

If things are more complicated than that we would have to have a detailed description of your project to be of much help since there are about a zillion ways to animate a lower 1/3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds very straightforward and REALLY simple to fix: two position keyframes.

• Put the timeline cursor on the BEGINNING keyframe and make a timeline marker, Shift-0-9 on the keyboard.  Not the numeric keypad.
  • Put the timeline cursor on the ENDING keyframe and click on the position keyframe stopwatch to clear all position keyframes.  Click on it again to make a new one.
  • Go to the timeline marker you made by hitting 0-9 on the keyboard.
  • Grab the layer and shift-drag it to the right until it's off the screen.

If it takes you more than 20 seconds to do this, you need to start running Basic AE tutorials or there's something you didn't tell us initially/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way to flip the position keyframes on the x-axis is to add this expression.

xpos=-transform.position[0]+thisComp.width;

ypos=transform.position[1];

[xpos,ypos]

Like Rick said, there are lots of variables and many ways to alter them.

If you could show a screenshot of your keyframes, we could give more help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some screenshots of my work

scr1.PNGscr2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like most if not all of your animations have only 2 keyframes. I would double click on the first keyframe in each animation involving position and adjust the x value. You can double click the first position keyframe, if the value is a negative number then remove the minus sign and add + the comp width and you have reversed the animation.

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 10.31.34 AM.png

I think that would be the fastest way to redo the animation.

The other option wold be to reveal all keyframes using the U key, then use the j and k key to move to the next keyframe in the animation and simply shift + drag the components of the animation to the other side of the frame one at a time. This will keep all your easing and timing in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer! This doesn't work with the shape-path animation right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heck, I'd just precompose the background to make it a single layer.  Then you can move it horizontally in the main comp at will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do a lot of titles picking up a titler plug in, I use NewBlue, and there are others, can be a huge timesaver.  They have lots of bells and whistles that greatly reduce time spent on repetitive tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Precomp the entire lower third

Open scale properties for the comp - click unlink

set the x property to -100

go into the comp and do the same thing on the text layer, so your text won't be backwards.

another option

2. Precomp

Make the layer 3d

rotate the y axis 180 degrees

go into comp, and do the same thing to the text layer so the text won't be backwards.

Another option

3. Precomp

right click on precomp, (or go to layer menu) > transform > flip horizontally
Then use one of the above methods to flip your text back where it was.

Edit: If you duplicate this in the project before hand, you can save a "template" of a left hand, and right hand lower third.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was great. I was looking for a way to do this too, so I used option 1 by setting scale property to -100 and then editing the text laters inside. And all worked. Thanks for saving me tons of time! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines