• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open a PDF in Captivate 9

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goal:  click on a button and have a PDF open in Captivate 9.

Issue:  It works great in the preview, no issues. When I publish it as HTML and SWF, the button will not launch.  It will work if I use a website.  I really want users to be able to open a pdf and save it to their computer.

My Actions: I created a custom button (no issues).  Actions - On success:  Open URL or FILE, URL:  TIPS.PDF (eliminated the path, per instructions I found), in NEW window, allowed infinite attempts, and UNchecked continue playing the project.

I have googled this, the instructions are to add a webpage, not a PDF. I have checked with other colleagues and we can not come up with the solution. 

Anyone??

TOPICS
Advanced actions , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

If you are testing this locally from your computer, try uploading your project to a web server and testing from there. It could be that browser security is interfering with the link to the PDF, but playing from a web server will usually not have issues with security.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you include the pdf when uploading the package?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Angela,

Just did this today and it works fine. I suspect your problem has something to do with "the instructions are to add a webpage, not a PDF."  I just added the link, published the project and uploaded to my web server. Works fine. Loads in a web page and the user downloads from there.

Are you expecting something different?

Cheers

Steve  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can it load in NOT a webpage?  So I just want essentially a Word Document embeded, does that document HAVE to be on a webpage?  I am self taught in Captivate, so I'm not sure if what I want is even possible?

Angela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's in the published folder. I am not zipping it, as the instructions I found elsewhere says to not publish to a zip file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When including a link to a PDF, make sure you remove the file location information and just leave the name of the file. Also, you will want to make sure the item is opened in a new window so as to not interfere with the continuation of your eLearning project. Uncheck Continue Playing the Project so the project remains paused until your users return to it after viewing the PDF.

2017-01-11 3-08-31 PM

Once you have published your project to either a ZIP file as would be the case in a SCORM package or if you have published your project to a folder, drag your PDF file into that ZIP or folder and it should work at that point.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that and it did not work.  I found an article now stating I must alter the html coding, that really would surprise me.

Angela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at my video tutorial on this topic and see if you can get something from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmQSCl6Hyqk

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not realize you were one in the same from Youtube.  That is the video I watched!  Extremely helpful, I go through the steps, as long as I link to a webpage I am fine.  But I am wanting to not link to a website and just attached the job aid so it is contained in this Captivate video only.

By the way, you have GREAT instructional videos, very thorough, easy to follow and easy to listen to!  I have subscribed to you!

Angela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for subscribing. Sorry this process isn't working.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Paul, we appreciate your channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul. I know you posted this a while ago, but it is still a very useful video.   I am fighting with getting a pdf file to open. I did it once, and published successfully.  Then I had to update the file to a new version. It should be as simple as changing the file name on the slide and placing the file in the same location as the previous. However, when I go to preview, or test. The .pdf file never opens.  If I publish, and I have made sure the file is within the zip file or published location, it doesn't open. Is this a testing issue?  I have not tried adding the object as a webpage, as option 3, because I need the file to be printable. Do you have any thoughts to assist please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are testing this locally from your computer, try uploading your project to a web server and testing from there. It could be that browser security is interfering with the link to the PDF, but playing from a web server will usually not have issues with security.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rod. That was the issue. Once I tested it externally it worked perfectly. All along I thought I was doing something wrong and kept looking for answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul (or anyone else),

I have followed the instructions per the video shown above, but it seems that I'm still doing something wrong. I have a pdf on my desktop (just like the video) and used method 3, publishing as a web object, but when I try to publish to YouTube or send to someone else via email as a PDF, the link is broken and the slide comes up blank, with a big whole where the scrolling webpage is supposed to be. I can see the document on my computer but I think that's because I have the pdf stored locally on my desktop. Can you help?

Thanks,

Kristin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are publishing to YouTube then your output will be an MP4 video.  You cannot embed a PDF in a video file.

How were you publishing the output  to send as an email?  Were you publishing to a zipped HTML5 file or similar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I published as HTML5 and as a PDF and published to YouTube. None of those worked unless they were played on my desktop. As you mentioned, YouTube didn't work regardless because it's a video.

What I am trying to do is to be able to view it (test) before publishing to my org's LMS to make sure everything is in working order. I can't seem to figure out how to do that. The PDF is fine as long as I'm watching it on my PC where the original file is on the desktop. How can I share the learning module with collaborators while it's still under construction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's quite easy.  Just sign up for a free account with SCORM Cloud and test all of your content by uploading there as SCORM zips.

That's the best way to test any content that will eventually be intended for delivery from an LMS.  If it doesn't work in SCORM Cloud then the issue is with your content.  If it does work in SCORM Cloud, but not on your own LMS, then the issue is with your LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok.. I think i figured out what you are trying to do.  Are you trying to load a Word document and not a PDF? If so, are you looking for them to download the document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want it to act like a Word Doc, I would avoid using a word doc to avoid editing issues.  But I just wanted it to pop up, not house it on a webpage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so we are on the right track.

You have a word document, that you want to "pop-up". The only way I know of a document to "pop-up" is via turning it into a PDF and having it show in a web browser when a button is clicked or a link clicked. Another option is you may be able to convert it to a screenshot graphic and then have it pop up, like any graphic in Captivate, when you hit a button or roll-over, but they would not be able to reference it later.  

Cheers

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, all PDF's have to be housed in a web browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it helps to remember that eLearning is essentially a web page or a series of connected web pages and therefore when you open anything it will, by its very nature, attempt to open it in a web browser.

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty much, unless every student owns a copy of Adobe Acrobat Viewer or Professional. The PDF view is a function of the web browser, really has nothing to do with Captivate. I can't think of any other way to view a Word doc without actually loading into Word..

Cheers

Steve 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the things I don't think I've seen mentioned here is that when you publish to Flash SWF, links to things like PDF don't work when you are viewing the content locally and not from a web server.

This has to do with something called the "Flash Security Sandbox". The Flash player will disallow such links unless you pat it on the head and tell it the world won't end if it opens the file for you.

Soooo, typically all you need to do to make things work fine is to upload the PDF to the same folder as where the Captivate exists on a web server.

If your plan involves folks running it from their own computers after copying to them, you need to also instruct them on how to configure the Flash Security Sandbox so the file is considered safe.

Click Here to watch a Captivate video showing how to configure this.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources