Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resizing without quality loss

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I am quite a beginner with photography and photoshop, I guess my problem could be an easy one to solve for many of you and I hope you can help me.

I have taken few head shots of a friend and would like to send him 3/4 images. The images are about 6 mb (jpg) in size and I'd like to send hime these in max 2mb size without loosing the quality of the images since he wants to use them as part of his modelling portfolio. The only way I could resize the images was by changing the resolution from 480 to 200 but the result is not very good. I hope that you guys would be able to give me some tips,

Thank you

Kind regards

Andrei

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

A couple of things to add.

8 inches x 10 inches means nothing if they do not tell you how many pixels per inch you require. So you need to check the required pixel dimensions - or the dimensions in inches plus the pixels per inch.

Once you get that sorted - crop to the pixel size required and then use File - Export - Save for Web and adjust the Quality value whilst watching the file size (underneath the image)  to get the best quality at the file-size you need.

Always tick "convert to sRGB" and "Em

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size in inches or mm or pixels does your friend need? this is the info you must start with. Then, what does your friend want to do with the images (very different requirements for book cover, election poster or Facebook picture)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your answer MVP!

My friend needs to upload this images as his head shots on a casting site that allows him to upload an image up to 2mb. The headshot is 8inx10in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of things to add.

8 inches x 10 inches means nothing if they do not tell you how many pixels per inch you require. So you need to check the required pixel dimensions - or the dimensions in inches plus the pixels per inch.

Once you get that sorted - crop to the pixel size required and then use File - Export - Save for Web and adjust the Quality value whilst watching the file size (underneath the image)  to get the best quality at the file-size you need.

Always tick "convert to sRGB" and "Embed Color profile". Set Metadata to copyright only rather than all.

By viewing 2 up you can compare the original to the compressed whilst you move the slider.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always when you resize the image smaller there is quality loss. So you can a) make the images and file sizes smaller with quality loss and send her 2 MB files or b) keep the image size and send her bigger files. If your email can't handle big files, you can use services like Wetransfer.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wonder, do you have a link to the casting site, especially tech guidelines? I can imagine they want to make high quality prints. Also, where does the 2MB limit come from? For this kind if work a commitment to the highest quality is usually more important than file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines