6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2017 1:19 PM by jvenkatrao

Problem running javascript associated with merging FDF data with PDF forms in Internet Explorer 11

jvenkatrao

I have some FDF style PDF forms.  I am trying to open one of them in Internet Explorer. The javascript that adds FDF data to the PDF template and opens it in IE does not seem to working. The IE is set to open the PDF using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Professional.  The IE version is 11. The PDF open with no FDF data added. Can anyone throw some light on this problem.

Thanks,

Jyothi

• 1. Re: Problem running javascript associated with merging FDF data with PDF forms in Internet Explorer 11
          Joel_Geraci Adobe Community Professional

If you're using FDF in a browser, you don't actually add the FDF data to the PDF. Your FDF has a key that points to the PDF that the data gets loaded into so you're actually adding the PDF to the FDF. So if your FDF was properly constructed, you just open the FDF and the PDF will get pulled in by Acrobat or Reader.

If your FDF does not have the F (file) key or it's pointing to the wrong location, you'll need to put a button on the PDF to import the data.

• 2. Re: Problem running javascript associated with merging FDF data with PDF forms in Internet Explorer 11
            jvenkatrao Level 1

May be I was not clear enough in my previous posting. I am able to open the PDF with data stored in FDF format (key-value pairs) using Adobe Acrobat DC Standard version in IE 11. But  problems are with opening them using IE 11 and Adobe Acrobat DC Professional. Can the 'Manage Add ons ' in IE has something to do with it ? I have Adobe Acrobat DC Standard and my Manage Add on settings with IE11 are like this. It works for me.

But I have a user who has none of the add ons except 'Shockwave Flash Object' in her settings. Could that be causing the problems ?

• 3. Re: Problem running javascript associated with merging FDF data with PDF forms in Internet Explorer 11

IE doesn't handle FDF on it's own so... yes. No Adobe Viewer = No FDF support in the browser.

• 4. Re: Problem running javascript associated with merging FDF data with PDF forms in Internet Explorer 11
                jvenkatrao Level 1

Thanks for the clarification. I will have the user make these settings changes and try again.

Does Chrome support FDF files ? How to make PDF files open in Chrome instead of opening in Adobe Acrobat Reader ?

Jyothi

• 5. Re: Problem running javascript associated with merging FDF data with PDF forms in Internet Explorer 11

Assuming you're on the latest release of Chrome, it doesn't even support opening a PDF in an Adobe viewer so FDF is out of the question. If you can explain exactly what it is you are trying to do, I might be able to advise a solution that works across browsers.

• 6. Re: Problem running javascript associated with merging FDF data with PDF forms in Internet Explorer 11
                    jvenkatrao Level 1

I have a web application that takes an empty PDF form and FDF data, populates the empty PDF form with FDF data and sends this PDF file as response. Along with the FDF data , I also have some buttons that I add to the PDF form. These buttons have navigational URLs to work within the app. I add these buttons using javascript and FDFDoc API.

Here is the code snippet.

FDFDoc fdfDoc ( This comes in as input)

fdfDoc.SetJavaScriptAction(button.getButtonName(),
                    com.adobe.fdf.FDFActionTrigger.FDFUp, "this.submitForm(\""
                    + button.getButtonURL() + "/openPDFAction.do"
                    + "?pageAction=" + button.getButtonPageAction()
                    + "&returnPage=" + button.getButtonActionPage()
                    + button.getButtonParameterList()
                    + "#FDF\",true,true);");
                    textButtons += "setBtnTxt('" + button.getButtonName() + "','"
                    + button.getButtonTitle() + "','"
                    + button.getButtonDescription() + "');\r";

fdfDoc.AddDocJavaScript("Onload", textButtons);

(The javascript is setting a label for the buttons and an forward URL upon click. )

The response is sent to the browser. Since the response is of type PDF, chrome tries to open it in the default PDF viewer. The default PDF viewer is Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
                    With Internet Explorer, I am able to set the 'Manage Add Ons' to Adobe PDF Reader, Adobe Acrobat CreatePDF Helper and Adobe Acrobat CreatePDF from Selection to 'Enabled' status.
                    With these settings in IE, when I get the response, it opens within the same browser window and the buttons in the PDF form function.
                    Another thing to note is the response has a filename xyz.fdf. This works perfectly fine in IE. But in Chrome, since it tries to launch Adobe Reader DC instead of opening it in the same browser window,  Adobe Reader DC does not recognize fdf file type and prompts for confirmation to open FDF file. Though I give 'Go' signal for opening FDF file, it fails to open.
                    Another problem is even if the response stream has an extension of pdf, the buttons won't work from within Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. They work only from a browser window.

Any ideas to get this working on Chrome would be appreciated.

Jyothi