Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CAPTIONS PANEL PREMIERE 2017

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys:

I've been getting familiar with the CAPTIONS utility in the last update and now I need to finish a feature film and add cations. So I decided to use OPEN CAPTIONS. I've followed all the step by step online and I still can not get this work. Once I have the captions file on the timeline, and then open the captions panel, I can not type in text nor have the option (+ sign) to add text, not even a box to type manually. All is selected properly, but It just driving me crazy. Anyone with the same problem? Really annoying.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm your steps:

You either went to File -> New or the New Item button and selected Captions

You hit OK on the New Captions windows

You selected Open Captions from the "Standard" dropdown.

You dragged the new caption clip into your timeline and dropped it above your video.

You made sure it was selected and opened the Captions panel.

That should work, just want to confirm your workflow. Hell, I just did a check and it worked fine for me. Restarted Premiere? Media Cache or preferences should be no issue here. MAYBE try an empty project file an import the old project into the new one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to jasontcox . after you select the captions layer from the timeline in your sequence, to open up the Captions panel (where you can add and edit open captions), go to Window and then select "Captions" - Hope that helps!  - Premiere Gal

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 11.38.22 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captions are a bit buggy.

Reset workspace to saved layout will get you going e.g. default workspace Editing.

On a side note: I cannot get them burned in via AME have to use the export function instead of the queue.

Half the time they do not show up in the Program monitor (mostly after doing some regular editing), have to restart Pr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi campos-lopez,

Do you still need help with this? Did Ann's suggestion help at all?

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having the exact same issue. I really don't know what to do.

Barry

EDIT: After playing around, I managed to do it. Once the captions panel is open, right click on the captions file in the timeline. The captions panel should then open an edit box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi madmadbarry,

Thanks for sharing your workaround.

I haven't been able to recreate this issue on my machine. Does it happen randomly or have you found a pattern to trigger this problem?

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rameez,

For me it happened every time I tried to set the Open Captions. The panel could not be edited. I closed Premiere Pro, reopened it; I deleted the open captions from the timeline and created a new one and the same thing happened over and over again. It still is happening, but now that I have my workaround, everything is fine.

Cheers,

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Barry,

Would it be possible for you to share a video or screen recording of the issue?

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, here is a screen capture of the problem and the fix

Cheers,

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the video, Barry!

Just to confirm, are you on Premiere Pro 11.0.2?

-Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm on that version.

Cheers,

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rameez,

I'm also on Premiere Pro 11.0.2 and having similar captions issues.  I have tried adding Open Captions to a 100-minute feature using both .srt and .scc files.  The .srt files showed up on the Program Monitor, but I couldn't find a way to "Select All" (there are about 400 subtitles) to edit font size and placement, and I really don't want to edit each one individually.  The .scc files won't show up at all.

I'm about ready to try doing this in FCP, but I wanted to give Premiere one last chance before I switch!

Julia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines