• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why doesnt spell-check work in acrobat 11 pro?

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - maybe I am missing something here. Shouldn't a spell-check be as simple as Edit/Check Spelling/In Comments, fields and editable text   ?

When I do the spell-check it doesn't find anything even though I have purposely misspelled some words. What gives?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you mis-spell the words in comments or fields or text that you've added via Fill&Sign>Add Text? If it's text that is in the static part of the PDF file, spell check will not find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Karl. It was text that I added  via Tools/Content Editing/Add Text. What's the best method of adding text and why are there 2 options? It seems to me that the option you mentioned doesn't have the text formatting options nearby. Just trying to understand why I wouldn't use your method if it means that my text can only be spell-checked that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not "my" method, I do not claim ownership

The reason I mentioned it is because only that text added with that function will be spell checked. What you are doing is to add static PDF content, and that will not be spell checked by the built-in spell checker.

The reason for two different functions is that one can be used in the free Adobe Reader when you fill out a form (that's the one on the "Fill&Sign" pane), so if you are not running the full version of Acrobat, you can still fill out a form that does not have interactive form fields. What you are using is what you would use to create static PDF content that cannot easily be modified (unless you know what you are doing and have Adobe Acrobat available).

Keep in mind that Acrobat is not a word processor or a desktop publishing system. Content should be created (and spell checked) in an application that was actually designed to create documents. The functions you have available in Acrobat are to make minor changes to a document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Karl--very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's static text you want to check you can use my tool to do it: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat -- Spell Check Suite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As explained elsewhere, Adobe  Pro unfortunately does not spell check, since it is not a word processor (which should not be an argument!).

The way I circumvent the problem: export the pdf file to Word (one of the options under file), spell check end repair typos in the pdf file

using one of the tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines