9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 11:22 AM by kerrishotts

How to remove phonegap splash in iOS

dmatafonov Level 1

Hi all,

First I released my app compiled on build.phonegap.com a while ago - more then a year.

It worked great. Many thanks.

Last months I submitted an update, compiled on build.phonegap.com.

And I got a phonegap splash on iOs version.

I tryied everything - I've made all kinds of splashes, but still phonegap splash is used instead of mine on iOS.

Is it kinda an advertizement program of the phonegap? Can I pay to remove it?
      Trouble is that my client wants his logo, not phonegap's

Here is my config.xml, describing splashes:

<gap:splash src="res/screen/ios/screen-iphone-portrait.png" platform="ios" width="320" height="480"/>

<gap:splash src="res/screen/ios/screen-iphone-portrait-2x.png" platform="ios" width="640" height="960"/>

<gap:splash src="res/screen/ios/screen-iphone-portrait-568h-2x.png" platform="ios" width="640" height="1136"/>

<gap:splash src="res/screen/ios/screen-ipad-portrait.png" platform="ios" width="768" height="1024"/>

<gap:splash src="res/screen/ios/screen-ipad-landscape.png" platform="ios" width="1024" height="768"/>

• 1. Re: How to remove phonegap splash in iOS
          VectorP Level 4

1. Do you have both config.xml and index.html in the same (root) directory of your zip file?

2. Did you test on a device which requires different splash dimensions? You have not nearly half of the required dimensions in your assets!

3. Did you include the splashscreen plugin in your config?

And no, those PGB logo's are no advertisements. You don't need a paid account to get rid of them

• 2. Re: How to remove phonegap splash in iOS
            dmatafonov Level 1

1. Yes

2. Device is same, config is same. Had no splash, no have phonegap's

3/ You mean this? <preference name="show-splash-screen-spinner" value="true"/>

You have not nearly half of the required dimensions in your assets!

>> You have not nearly half of the required dimensions in your assets!
            Is it possible to use one splash for all? Because otherwise, the whole package will weight just splashes

• 3. Re: How to remove phonegap splash in iOS
              kerrishotts Adobe Community Professional

2. iOS apps are required to have splash screens, as per Apple. So you must provide for all resolutions that your app supports (if you don't, some devices will scale your app up instead to emulate older devices).

3. No -- you should have a <plugin> tag that references the splash screen plugin

And last, it's not yet possible to have a single splash for all iOS devices. The feature is present in Cordova-ios@4.3.1, but PhoneGap Build is on 4.3.0. I have no word on when that might change.

So for now, you must build splashes for all supported devices. That said, there's no need for them to be arty. Apple will happily accept a splash screen that's a single color (say, that matches the background color of your app).

• 4. Re: How to remove phonegap splash in iOS
                gwils36295096 Level 1

I have the same or very similar issue. On an iPhone 6 or 5 there is a PhoneGap generic splash screen showing ... but okay on an iPad (same version of iOS). Here are a few snippets from the config.xml:

<preference name="phonegap-version" value="cli-6.5.0" />

<plugin name="cordova-plugin-splashscreen" spec="~4.0.1" />

<splash height="320" platform="ios" src="res/screen/ios/screen-iphone-landscape.png" width="480" />

<splash height="640" platform="ios" src="res/screen/ios/screen-iphone-landscape-2x.png" width="960" />

<splash height="640" platform="ios" src="res/screen/ios/screen-iphone-landscape-568h-2x.png" width="1136" />

<splash height="750" platform="ios" src="res/screen/ios/screen-iphone-landscape-667h.png" width="1334" />

<splash height="1242" platform="ios" src="res/screen/ios/screen-iphone-landscape-736h.png" width="2208" />

<splash height="768" platform="ios" src="res/screen/ios/screen-ipad-landscape.png" width="1024" />

<splash height="1536" platform="ios" src="res/screen/ios/screen-ipad-landscape-2x.png" width="2048" />

so works on iPad (iOS 10.2.1) but not iPhone (iOS 10.2.1).

Mmmm! If I find an answer I will post it here!

.... and here it is:

Unlike the iPad and iPhone 6 plus the iPhone 5/6 requires that you have portrait images in place for a splash screen EVEN IF your app is always in landscape. So you have to rotate your landscapes to portrait and include them ... they are of course not portrait images but rotated landscapes ... but I guess you could include a proper portrait splash that says rotate your phone. I guess this is all to do with how the iPhone 6, unlike the 6 plus and iPad, doesn't do landscape in home screen (SpringBoard) mode!

• 5. Re: How to remove phonegap splash in iOS
                  gwils36295096 Level 1

Why should dmatafonov have both config.sys and index.html in the root folder? I think this one needs sorting out:

config.xml

/res/

/www/index.html

What is wrong with that as long as config.xml refers to res/ etc.

• 6. Re: How to remove phonegap splash in iOS
                    VectorP Level 4

It's documented!

PhoneGap Build's only requirement for your application structure is that the config.xml and index.html is in the top level of your application.

Getting Started | PhoneGap Docs

• 7. Re: How to remove phonegap splash in iOS
                      gwils36295096 Level 1

Strange how it works with config.xml in the root and index.html in www then?

• 8. Re: How to remove phonegap splash in iOS
                        VectorP Level 4

Not hard to understand:

Police officer: "You can't run that red light, Sir. Can go terribly wrong, you know! It's documented here. That's a $200 fine."

You: "Why can't I? I have successfully managed to do so for about a year, now!"

Do it as documented, and it should work just fine.

Do it any other way, and you might be lucky to get away with that sometimes.

• 9. Re: How to remove phonegap splash in iOS
                          kerrishotts Adobe Community Professional

Just wanted to point out that PGB started officially supporting the CLI structure as of October 7 2016: PhoneGap Build Now Accepts CLI Projects

The documentation also indicates it is supported: http://docs.phonegap.com/phonegap-build/getting-started/app-project-structure/ Note that it looks like the structure of the documentation has changed (the link above is different than what it used to be -- I suspect a missed redirect somewhere...)