Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timing issues - work on preview but not in browser or LMS

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning,

I have a course developed in Captivate 9 that has audio and I have objects that are timed to appear at different times. When I preview the course (next 5 slides) the timing works. When I preview in browser or publish to the LMS, the timed objects do not appear.  I found another post and followed the instructions there and it worked yesterday and today it's not working again.  The buttons on the timeline are the next and back buttons. I attached a screenshot of my timeline below.

Thank you!

Jenni

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

That was one of the situations where you don't see the pause on each slide. It explains why it worked when you started the preview from this slide because the buttons didn't show up in that case.

The alternative is to use shape buttons on the master slide(s): if you have them set up to pause, they will always pause at the end of each slide, whatever its duration. The drawback is tht you cannot hide/show that button as is possible with one timed for the rest of the project because buttons on the m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two shape buttons, pausing the slide at 15secs. What is exactly happening, I don't see the complete timeline. The slide audio seems to be very low, or has it still to be replaced by a real VO?

Are you publishing to HTML5 or to SWF? If this is a normal (blank) project, not a responsive project, the Preview Next 5 slides is SWF-based. Did you preview in Browser (F12) for SWF output or Preview HTML in Browser (for HTML output)? Those are the Preview methods rendering and predicting best the final output.

I just started publishing a sequence of 5 articles about the Timeline in Captivate. The 3 first ones are already online on my blog (only the first is also on the learning portal, the other two are waiting approval). Maybe you'll find them useful:

Captivate's Timeline(s) Demystified - Intro - Captivate blog

Video Demo Timeline demystified (cpvc-project) - Captivate blog

Captivate's Timelines (master slide/normal slide cptx) demystified - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick response! The slide basically stays the same until the end after the pause on the buttons.  I preview in browser and in HTML5 and neither one work.  If I preview next 5 slides it works. I published to both SWF and HTML5 before loading to the LMS. The LMS version is not working as well. A screen shot of what the slide looks like when it starts and when the text caption appears are shown below. When I say it's not working, the text caption does not appear at 8.1 seconds as directed in the timeline.

I will work on making the audio louder as well.

Thanks!

Jen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If those two shapes are the shape buttons (difficult when you only have generic names), and there are no other pauses, there is no reason why the playhead is not proceeding until 8.1secs.

Some pauses are not visible on the timeline. That is the case with D&D slides, with pauses of shape buttons on master slides, or shape buttons timed for the rest of the project but located on a previous slide.

I can recommend to debug this work flow:

• insert a caption or a shape on the slide
  • go in edit mode, and use the X button in the Character part to insert this system variable: cpInfoCurrentFrame
  • when you play the slide in the browser (don't bother with the other previews) or html in browser, watch the frame number: when isi ti stopping? Framerate in Captivate is 30FPS by default, 30 frames for each second.

Can you also check the Properties of that text caption: is it visible in Output (which means that you have an eye icon, not a barred eye, in the left top corner of the Properties panel for that caption).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I just figured out what it is....I have 2 buttons that are show for rest of project that pause at 1.5 seconds. They are added on slide 3 and the timeline for that is shown below. 

I have some slides that need the pause to be longer that the length of this slide. Would it be best to not have them show for rest of the project and add the buttons to each individual slide so I can customize the pause?

Thanks!

Jen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was one of the situations where you don't see the pause on each slide. It explains why it worked when you started the preview from this slide because the buttons didn't show up in that case.

The alternative is to use shape buttons on the master slide(s): if you have them set up to pause, they will always pause at the end of each slide, whatever its duration. The drawback is tht you cannot hide/show that button as is possible with one timed for the rest of the project because buttons on the master slide don't have an ID. Maybe you need to read my sequence about the Timeline, not totally ready yet but here are already 3 posts, these two are for cptx-timelines:

Secrets of Timeline(s) in Captivate – Intro | eLearning

All you have to know about Captivate timeline(s) in a cptx project | eLearning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I'll definitely read your blog on the timeline...you are always very helpful and I appreciate it.

Jen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources