3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2017 4:39 PM by Ussnorway

Responsive pin always on as default - how can I turn it off?

radarryan

I'm sorry if my title is vague or doesn't convey what I am trying to say, so apologies in advance. What is happening is any time that I make a text frame, use the rectangle tool, et cetera, the box is automatically selected with pin to page on the left. I have inserted two screenshots to illustrate what I am seeing.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling discarding preferences, thinking that may have fixed the issue but was unsuccessful. The issue persists whether I am working in a fixed or responsive layout. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Ryan

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 1.32.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-14 at 1.45.48 AM.png

• 1. Re: Responsive pin always on as default - how can I turn it off?
          Ussnorway Adobe Community Professional

radarryan wrote:

The issue persists whether I am working in a fixed or responsive layout.

no mate web design 101;

fixed width = pin by default

fluid width = no pin by default

if you make something on a fixed width breakpoint then it will be pinned... even if you then add a fluid width breakpoint later. this is by design and not a bug

• 2. Re: Responsive pin always on as default - how can I turn it off?
            radarryan Level 1

I apologize if this is very basic as I am very green when it comes to any sort of web design (I am working my way through the Train Simple tutorials). Just to clarify, whenever I am working with a fixed width website, the pin will always be on by default, with the pin position being to the left?

Will having the pin on the left by default require me to come and turn it to a center or right pin, depending on the location of an asset or is it not necessary in a fixed width? Again, apologies if this is very basic.

Thank you for your assistance.

• 3. Re: Responsive pin always on as default - how can I turn it off?
              Ussnorway Adobe Community Professional

radarryan wrote:

Just to clarify, whenever I am working with a fixed width website, the pin will always be on by default, with the pin position being to the left?

if you make the object in a fixed breakpoint yes but if the object was made in a fluid breakpoint and then you ADD a fixed breackpoint to your design the object will remain unpinned because you made it in a fluid breakpoint and it keeps that setting unless you change it... you can pin or unpin at any time, these are just defaults

radarryan wrote:

Will having the pin on the left by default require me to come and turn it to a center or right pin, depending on the location of an asset or is it not necessary in a fixed width?

there are some senarios where you would pin center or right but they mostly happen when your design is split up into frames... when you pin something its location is set to the X and Y (in pixels) so most fixed width senarios it doesn't matter if you left or right pin

my rule for layouts that mix fluid and fixed together is to build the design in fluid first i.e, I recommend you avoid pin or your design objects will tend to jump around as you go from one breakpoint to another... use the other pin [to browser] when you want something to stay put.

p.s, welcome