• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm trying to delete a 100,000 image folder and failing.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to delete a 100,000 image folder and failing. The back story is a I have an external hard drive D: which at one time had a folder of 100,000 images. Outside of Lightroom and on another computer, I formatted the external drive D, deleting those images, and then loaded a different folder (about 60,000) images. A 2 Tb drive. Now when I plug that drive into my laptop, the LR version I have there shows both the old D: with 100,000 images all of course have ? missing, as well as the current collection of 60,000 which I did succeed in importing. How do I get rid of the ? images. I tried right clicking on the folder but after half an hour of processing it quits, "not enough memory". I can delete them 500 at a time by opening each subfolder, but that will take a long time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

What I was able to do is open a sub folder and select maybe eight or 9000 images then right click and delete. Then come back an hour later and repeat until they were all gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are getting "out of memory" errors trying to delete all at the same time, you will need to break it into smaller pieces. The catch is to figure out how big those smaller pieces can be.

Start with a leaf folder. That should work fine.

Then try deleting its parent and all its siblings in one go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What I was able to do is open a sub folder and select maybe eight or 9000 images then right click and delete. Then come back an hour later and repeat until they were all gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines