4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2017 4:16 AM by BarbBinder

Lasso Tool Selection - Photoshop Essential Tutorial

lucienp8924865 Level 1

I have just selected an area in my image using the Lasso Tool. I copied and pasted it into a new image but can't re-position it within the image ?

• 1. Re: Lasso Tool Selection - Photoshop Essential Tutorial
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

The Lasso tool is a selection tool, used to define the edges of the selection. With an active selection (marching ants visible), placing your cursor inside and dragging the mouse allows you to move the selection.

To move the pixels, switch to the Move tool—the first one in the toolbar. The same action (pressing and dragging your mouse) allows you to move the content, not the selection.

• 2. Re: Lasso Tool Selection - Photoshop Essential Tutorial
            terris86415680 Adobe Community Professional

Your pasted selection should be on it's own layer by default. Make sure that layer is selected and the 'move' tool, v on the keyboard, is active. You should now have no problem moving the selection around.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Lasso Tool Selection - Photoshop Essential Tutorial
              lucienp8924865 Level 1

I was getting ready with another question when I came back to this post. I think what I was trying to do was to resize the image using CTRL T. Still getting familiar with Photoshop's terminology...

• 4. Re: Lasso Tool Selection - Photoshop Essential Tutorial
                BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

That's Free Transform. There are so many variations available after you tap Ctrl T:

• To scale by dragging, drag a handle. Press Shift as you drag a corner handle to scale proportionately.
                • To scale numerically, enter percentages in the Width and Height text boxes in the options bar. Click the Link icon to maintain the aspect ratio.
                • To rotate by dragging, move the pointer outside the bounding border (it becomes a curved, two‑sided arrow), and then drag. Press Shift to constrain the rotation to 15° increments.
                • To rotate numerically, enter degrees in the rotation text box in the options bar.
                • To distort relative to the center point of the bounding border, press Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS), and drag a handle.
                • To distort freely, press Ctrl (Windows) or Command (Mac OS), and drag a handle.
                • To skew, press Ctrl+Shift (Windows) or Command+Shift (Mac OS), and drag a side handle. When positioned over a side handle, the pointer becomes a white arrowhead with a small double arrow.
                1 person found this helpful