• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Record Data Merge

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a 6 per page data merge where each of the six records are unique.  When I create the merge document and look at the preview, all looks fine.  There are 6 unique records per page.  When I confirm the merge, the actual document shows 6 of the same record per page.  I can not figure out why the preview is working but the actual merge is not.  Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it's worse than that!  I get 25 pages of the same record - with a few scattered unique records.  And even then, the one record it is displaying, 6 on a page for 25 pages,  is combining the information for two records (I have the fields for first and last name displaying twice and it is showing two different names within the same record). 

Once again, the preview looks perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the multiple record feature of Data Merge quite buggy and will not use it for any projects until it receives some attention from the engineers. I've written a piece about it a while ago - https://colecandoo.com/2013/12/28/data-merge-multiple-record-madness/

In the meantime, are you exporting directly to PDF or INDD file? I've noticed this phenomenon when exporting directly to PDF, but this behaviour doesn't happen for me when exporting to INDD.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also set it up - but do not use the preview. I've found using the Preview to be buggy.

Set it up - and create the InDesign file directly - or directly to PDF without previewing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for trying to help!
First, I don't think I'm exporting to PDF.  The merged document just opens in INDD.  I can't even see the option to export to PDF while creating the merged document.

I've tried putting variable fields on a regular page vs a master page -- no success

I've recreated CVS file multiple times and tried saving the excel document to another new document copying values and not formulas - no success there either.

I've tried creating the merged document without previewing first, no success.

To test my CSV file I merged as single records and that worked perfectly.

I'm stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines