Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import preformatted Text blocks from another source during data merge

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am looking for a "how to" type of answer.

I created a calender for 2017 with one page per day with data merge. I am importing day, weekday, a graphic from a file for moon phase etc. with the help of a .csv file. All works great so far.

Now i want to add a hint of the day, which includes on one day text and graphics, another day just bullet points, onother day plain text etc.

Ideally I would like to format all 365 day entries in another indesign file and import for each day a different "pre-formatted block" which has a name I provide in the .csv file

In Word you can do this with textmarks as part of the serial letter function.

I would highly appreciate any help how to do this with data merge in Indesign.

Best Helmut

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Virtually anything out of the norm—using a strict CSV file with text, links to graphics and barcodes—can't be done with Data Merge. The feature hasn't been changed in many ways from when it arrived years ago.

I don't do this kind of work but sounds like you should be using a third party application for dealing with databases for more flexibility. Hopefully, others can give you more concrete suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines