3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2008 11:12 AM by Sharkmenace

How to connect or weld two points

Sharkmenace Level 1
      I have two halves (opposites) of an open shape that I want to "weld" together. What's the best way to go about doing this?
      Thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: How to connect or weld two points
          JoeDaSilva Level 4
          One of my favorite tools in Fireworks is what I'd employ here. Select the two paths, and ensure they're touching. Now go to Modify > Combine Paths > Join.
          • 2. Re: How to connect or weld two points
            Sharkmenace Level 1
            Thanks for your reply, Joey.

I am familiar with the join tool. However, it tends to create gaps when the path is filled. Should I assume that there is no way to take two points and make them one, like "welding" in most 3D apps?
            • 3. Re: How to connect or weld two points
              Sharkmenace Level 1
              I've found it!

I did a couple of things:
              1. I aligned the two points on the touching edge of both paths using Align and turning on "Anchors: Apply to selected anchors and control points" (the middle button when anchors is turned on)

2. I selected both paths and used Modify>Combine Paths>Union.

This actually made each pair of points into 1 point (at top and bottom)
              If this sounds confusing to anyone, just imagine trying to combine two halves of the outline of a rectangle to form a close rectangle.

The Join (Ctrl+J) combines two paths into one object with two paths while union combines the the two paths into one path. Now when the object is filled there are no gaps.