4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2008 2:35 PM by big4d-RHSJ0w

Trouble with slideshow.

big4d-RHSJ0w
      First of all thanks to all of you who read this forum and take time to help those of us that are having trouble.

I built a slide show with the command menu. I got the three files, the "index.html","player_blsc.swf", and the "scripts" folder. I saved all of these into a sub folder for the page I am building.
      I then imported this slideshow into dreamweaver with the import command. That all went fine.
      When I preview the page in my browser, I get the slideshow, but no images. I get the same thing if I "play" the filein dreamweaver.

I am out of idea and seariously need som help! Here is my file structure in dreamweaver.

sitename (root)
      |
      - page 1
      |
      - image albums (contains the pictures for this page)
      - page images (contains sliced images form fireworks to build the page)
      - slideshow files (contains all of the files for the slideshow I am trying to build)
      - pagename.html (actual html page)

|
      - page2
      |
        • 1. Re: Trouble with slideshow.
          Level 7
          The all important part that you don't mention is the xml file. You need to
          upload this as well.

Peter
          help
          | those of us that are having trouble.
          |
          | I built a slide show with the command menu. I got the three files, the
          | "index.html","player_blsc.swf", and the "scripts" folder. I saved all of
          these
          | into a sub folder for the page I am building.
          | I then imported this slideshow into dreamweaver with the import command.
          That
          | all went fine.
          | When I preview the page in my browser, I get the slideshow, but no images.
          I
          | get the same thing if I "play" the filein dreamweaver.
          |
          | I am out of idea and seariously need som help! Here is my file structure
          in
          | dreamweaver.
          |
          | sitename (root)
          | |
          | - page 1
          | |
          | - image albums (contains the pictures for this page)
          | - page images (contains sliced images form fireworks to
          build
          | the page)
          | - slideshow files (contains all of the files for the
          slideshow
          | I am trying to build)
          | - pagename.html (actual html page)
          |
          | |
          | - page2
          | |
          |

• 2. Re: Trouble with slideshow.
            big4d-RHSJ0w Level 1
            Newsgroup User,

Thanks for the reply. Well I would agree with you but I am not even to the upload stage yet. I am still building the page.
            It will not work in dreamweaver or when previewing in explorer or firefox. I have not uploaded it to a server yet because it is not working.
            It appears to not be finding the albums it produces when fireworks made the slideshow. Is that possible?
            • 3. Re: Trouble with slideshow.
              Level 7
              I don't know, sounds unlikely. All I say is it worked ok for me...

http://www.fasterthanu.com/

However if you'd like to select asmall group of optimised images and the
              slide shoe style you'd like zip them up and send them to me at peter AT
              fasterthanu.com, I'll have a quick try myself for you, if that would help?

Cheers
              Peter
              |
              | Thanks for the reply. Well I would agree with you but I am not even to the
              | upload stage yet. I am still building the page.
              | It will not work in dreamweaver or when previewing in explorer or firefox.
              I
              | have not uploaded it to a server yet because it is not working.
              | It appears to not be finding the albums it produces when fireworks made
              the
              | slideshow. Is that possible?
              |

• 4. Re: Trouble with slideshow.
                big4d-RHSJ0w Level 1
                I fixed it! I am a newbie here so you will have to forgive my inexperience.

For those of you that might run into this same problem here is the answer.

All of the files for your slide show need to be in the same folder with the html file that is actually your page.

Example;
                Below is a file structure for a "website"
                Lets say you want to put a slide slow on the "photos" page.
                If you are using fireworks slide show creator, it will generate 3 files and a number of folders.
                The folders will be the folders that contain the images it will display on the slide show.
                It will also make a new folder called "scripts"
                Okay, so lets say your slide show will have two "albums". In one album there are pictures of boats and the other album there are pictures of sunsets. So, in fireworks you will name the the albums "boats" and "sunsets". Fire works will create the folders called "boats" and "sunsets". Along with the other files.
                So here are the files you will end up with,
                slideshow.xml (file)
                index.html (file)
                show_black.swf (this is the flash file that you will install)
                boats (folder)
                sunsets (folder)
                So, however many folders you end up with is determined by how many albums you create. If you have 3 albums, you will have 4 new folders (don't forget about the scripts folder)

Okay, hopefully you got all of that! And now we can move on.

Below is a web page file structure. Where you place these files and folders is very important! You must place them on the same "level" as you page, they can't be in a subfolder on that page. Here is an example,

Mywebpage (folder containing your site, or your root folder.)
                |
                home page (your index page)
                ......page images (folder)
                ......home.html
                |
                photos
                .....page images (folder)
                .....photos.html
                |
                contact
                ....page images (folder)
                ....contact.html

Lets say you want to put this slideshow on the page "photos". But you want ot build a page and have the slideshow display as part of your page and not just as a standalone with nothing else on it. Here is how I did it the first time and it did not work. I will use the example from above.

|
                ......home.html
                |
                photos
                ....page images (folder)
                ....photos.html
                ....slide show files (folder)
                ...........show_black.swf
                ...........index.html
                ...........slideshow.xml
                ...........boats (folder)
                ...........sunsets (folder)

contact
                ....page images (folder)
                ....contact.html

As you can see the slideshow files are located in a subfolder called slideshow files. Thay are not in the same folder as the photo.html files. This causes the slide show not to work because it is looking in the wrong folder for the files.
                Now, put the files like the example below to make your slide show work.

|
                ......home.html
                |
                photos
                ....page images (folder)
                ....photos.html
                ....show_black.swf
                ....index.html
                ....slideshow.xml
                ....boats (folder)
                ....sunsets (folder)

contact
                ....page images (folder)
                ....contact.html

As you can see the slideshow files are no longer in the sub folder. They are in the same folder as the pages html file. I know it is not as oganized looking but this is the only way I found to make the slideshow appear inside another page. Good luck with your pages. If you need more help post here or email me and I will see if I can help.