What is the file type?
How are you transferring them to your computer?
What is your OS and exact version of LR?
os and LR are all up to date first thing I checked, and its a raw file straight from the camera to Nikon software and then I import it to Lightroom, its strange as this morning took a few shots and put them on the system and it came up with this message on 3 out of 5 pictures.
2 people found this helpful
Using Nikon software can corrupt the NEF files and make them unreadable to Lightroom.
For a fix, see this page Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images
To avoid this happening in the future, use the operating system (Mac Finder or Windows Explorer) to copy the NEFs to your computer.
I will try this and thank you
Although the problem could be the Nikon software, usually "unexpected end of file" indicates that the file is corrupted somehow in the transfer from camera to computer, and this is a different corruption than what is caused by Nikon software. If it is a different corruption, then the problem could be bad hardware, such as bad card reader or bad camera card.
My setup is Nikon NEF and I haven't ever had a problem with corrupted NEF files until today. An entire days worth of images would import into Lightroom from the SD card, but every one of them (from this specific day) had an "unexpected end of file" error. I tried "copy as DNG" and "move" both giving the same error. I noted thet in both cases it would move the "image" as an NEF in a corrupted format and that rendered anything after that point useless (DNG conversion or developing). I did a full reboot on everything (starting from scratch) and still had the same problem.
Before I tried the "Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images" link, I gave one last ditch effort to try a different import work flow. Rather than importing directly from the SD card into Lightroom I copied the NEF files from the SD card into a folder on my desktop (note that the image sizes, total folder size, etc were all identical). From Lightroom I then imported the NEF files from the desktop folder copy and they imported without any issue. They copied as NEF, converted as DNG and then are completely accessible and processable in Lightroom.
I also noticed that subsequent day images didn't have this issue from the SD card. Again, it's the only time its happened... Odd...