5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2017 2:23 PM by dj_paige

This is the correct hardware for Lr?

santiagos41086484

I'm thinking on buying a new pc because the one that i have right now it's getting old and im having some troubles with the performance (a4-4020(dual core @3.2ghz)/8gb@1600mhz/gt740)
      That's what i want to buy:
      amd fx 8350
      gigabyte 970ads3p
      8 more gb of ram to get a total of 16
      and maybe a 212 evo for a little bit of overclocking

(later i will upgrade my gpu to a 1060 or so... My biggest problem is that i don't have much money to spend)

i'll be good with that hardware for a couple of years?

*sorry for my english*

i also have a kingston 240gb ssd

(i'm working with 25mb raws from a nikon d7200)

• 1. Re: This is the correct hardware for Lr?
          dj_paige Level 9

There are reports of LR not performing well on 8 core CPU like the one you have mentioned. You would be better off going for a 4-core CPU. Also, the AMD FX-8350 is not particularly fast compared to other CPUs today, if you can afford a faster CPU, I would advice getting the faster CPU.

What size (in pixels) is your monitor? If it's a standard HD monitor (1920x1080) then you don't really need to spend money on a top notch GPU (for Lightroom's benefit, but perhaps other programs you use might need the GPU, I don't know)

You didn't state what parts of your current system are slow -- exactly which steps in LR are seeing the slowness? Depending on your answer, the problem might be fixed without major upgrade (or not).

• 2. Re: This is the correct hardware for Lr?
            santiagos41086484 Level 1

The biggest problem is the time that Lr tooks to export a 300ppi 100% image, it's like 1 minute per image while a friend of mine with an i5 6500 (and also 8 gb of ram) does it in 15 secs, in one moment i tought on buying the same i5 but then i saw the fx 8350 and in my country it's $800 cheaper (i5=$4.000 / fx=$3.200)
            i'm using a 1920x1080 screen

As you can see my biggest and only problem is my cpu, that's why i planned updating what i mentioned before, i only update the mobo because otherwise i won't be able to use the new cpu, and i also choose the fx over an i5 because the motherboard for the fx is ddr3 so i can end up having 16gb of high level ddr3 ram vs a 8 gb ddr4 stick

• 3. Re: This is the correct hardware for Lr?
              santiagos41086484 Level 1

*i said high level ddr3 ram because right now i have a 1600 mhz kingston hyperx and if i buy ddr4 i would end up buying a generic one (bc of the price difference)

• 4. Re: This is the correct hardware for Lr?
                dj_paige Level 9

As I said before, I would not get an 8 core CPU for Lightroom. Avoid them at all costs.