Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Configuring a HP Z840 workstation for AE and PP

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I'm configuring a HP Z840 workstation, and I have a challenge to choose the suitable CPUs and GPU for it.

Currently I'm circling around these two CPU setups:

- 2 x Xeon E5-2640v4 (2.4GHz 10C 2133)

- 2 x Xeon E5-2643v4 (3.4GHz 6C 2400)

Speed or cores? Both with 64GB of RAM.

For GPU: 1080, Titan X, Quadro (I'm not sure which model) or something else. Quadros are quite pricey..

I use both AE and PP with occasional visits to Resolve.

What kinds of thoughts these rise? Should I consider other options?

I'm trying to stay under $10K limit (it's surprisingly hard).

Thank you in advance!

/Pasi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

normally you want to keep core speed high. so the 10 cores at 2.4 wouldn't be a good option. its possible to cut some costs from the hp machine by installing your own hp compatible memory, gtx video card, and storage like ssd's and hdd's. another option with the HP would be a single xeon, like a E5-2687W v4 (12 cores @ 3.0ghz), that would leave open the option to add another later.

if you buy from a custom pc shop, like pudget or adk, then you can get a complete system for alot less than HP. a single 10-12 core cpu system can be configured around $6-7k, or dual xeon E5-2687W v4 around $10k. both of those systems at those prices would include ram, storage, and a gtx card. if you call them and explain your projects needs, they should be able to help pick the right hardware setup.

depending on what you are doing in resolve, it will likely place the most demands on the video card and may even benefit from dual cards (requires full version of resolve). the gtx 1080 ti might be a good option vs the titan X, but won't be released for a few months. if you need 10bit out for a reference monitor, its going to be cheaper to buy a blackmagic display i/o card instead of a quadro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines