2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2008 9:02 AM by jkyasho

Play a UDP and Live555 VOD stream

jkyasho
      Hi,

I planned to develope a hospitality Adobe AIR desktop application using Flex.

Befor to start, I like to know whether I can play any type of Vidoe stream like UDP and RTP ( VOD Server Stream ). Also I need to play .avi and .mpeg files.

Is this possible in the development environement. If so please give me the link or any resources to follow.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Play a UDP and Live555 VOD stream
          Dr. Fred Mbogo Level 1
          The only format that Flex supports of the ones you ask for is H.264 (MPEG-4 part 10) in the QuickTime/MP4 stream format. There are multiple ways to multiplex MPEG-4 video data besides the QT-derived format, so you have to get this right. Basically, if it's H.264 and QuickTime will play it, Flash should, too.

Your streaming video server needs to send the data without remuxing it, such as into an MPEG-2 transport stream, as a lot of them like to do. It's best if it sends the video in "raw UDP" form, rather than over RTP, since the RTP route means you have to write a lot of extra code to depacketize the data. On the other hand, the raw UDP method only works really well over a fairly well-managed LAN. Over a big or messy LAN, or over the Internet, RTP will be valuable.

Additionally, you say VoD. That usually implies RTSP, which is probably something you'll have to write yourself. I'm not aware of built-in support or ready-to-use RTSP libraries.
          • 2. Re: Play a UDP and Live555 VOD stream
            jkyasho Level 1
            Thank you for the response and the info. Yes, for VoD I would need RTSP, so I guess I'll have to wait for the libraries. For TV, it is typically received via MPEG-2 multicast streams. In my previous projects I used VLC to join and leave multicast streams for watching TV, and I was wondering if there was any player plugin in FLEX that works in a similar manner.

If not, is there a way for me to call VLC player within FLEX?