• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

masking effects parent comp

Participant ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that if you have a mask layer it also sometimes effect the parent comp so you have to pre-comp again to avoid that.

Sometimes it works like this and sometimes not.
Any ideas why?

/ Mattias

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

mattias@gordon.se  wrote

But I learned if you use the pin tools on a vector layer and have that in a comp and rasterize that comp it will not work.

Yup. That's likely the problem!

From this page of the AE help files:

Note:  Don’t animate the position or scale of a continuously rasterized layer with layer transformations if you are also animating the layer with the Puppet tools. The render order for continuously rasterized layers—such as shape layers and text layers—is different from the render orde

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mattias, your description is a little hard to follow. Can you post some screenshots or a recording of this happening? When you say "a mask layer" do you mean a separate layer that you're using as a track matte, or do you mean when you mask an individual layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's high time you learned what the "Move All Attributes" switch actually does when you precompose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I have a comp where the the top layer works as a Alpha mask.
2. In that comp it looks great
3. In the parent comp the alpha is masking even if I dont want it.
4. This happens sometimes and I guess there is some setting I missed tio check....

I will check the "Move All Attributes" and see if I missed somethng.

/ Matitas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Move All Attributes" applies only to pre-comping. How are you applying the matte to your other layers in the comp where the top layer is being used as your matte? Are you using the Set Matte effect and applying it to all layers, or do you only have two layers in this comp and you're using the top layer as a track matte?

Can you please post a screenshot of what it looks like in the comp with the matte and the parent comp? Make sure to toggle the transparency grid in the Comp panel so you can see what's actually being matted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to track it down but I need to look this through so I give you good info. I might also be a silly mistake. I get back. thanks for your help so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mattias Gordon,

What did you do to solve this issue? Do you still need help? Please let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I haven´t really tracked it down.
But I learned if you use the pin tools on a vector layer and have that in a comp and rasterize that comp it will not work.
It will look weird or not show up.
I think it will have something with the rasterize effect on a comp with vector layer ( with an effect on it )  inside to do. this thing too maybe.

/ Matitas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mattias@gordon.se  wrote

Yup. That's likely the problem!

From this page of the AE help files:

Note:  Don’t animate the position or scale of a continuously rasterized layer with layer transformations if you are also animating the layer with the Puppet tools. The render order for continuously rasterized layers—such as shape layers and text layers—is different from the render order for raster layers. You can precompose the shape layer and use the Puppet tools on the precomposition layer, or you can use the Puppet tools to transform the shapes within the layer.

(See Render order and collapsing transformations and Continuously rasterize a layer containing vector graphics.) 

If you are using the Puppet Pin tool, I would highly recommend going through all of the resources on that page. It'll help you avoid gotchas like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines