2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2008 2:13 PM by kartikjayaraman

New to Flex

curious_flex
      Forgive me, if i am asking silly question.I am totally new to flex but even after reading a lot about flex, i am not able to clear myself about some basic concepts.
      Let me explain you my situation.
      we are generating chart in our application used some license softwar and I am given the task to explore th possibility of using flex.
      Now for that software, we pass Data to its API files ( through http XML post)and it return me the image( of chart) which I can use in my application.
      Now what happen in case of Flex?
      I understand, I have to build some 'swf' file with flex builder. but how these file will accept data which will be generated dynamically at server side. and how these files are passed to browser( which executes these files)

The more basic thing is, do I have to pass Data( on the basis of which charts are generated) to them at server side
      or at client side.

I am seeing some examples on charts based on flex , but all those examples have data already with them, they don't show, how Data can be passed to the code which is confusing me.

if possible,Please give me some examples/sites from which i can read more about how flex fits with web application especially when Data set is not constant and generated dynamically.

Thanks !!

• 1. Re: New to Flex
          Level 7

"curious_flex" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gd2vdc$kvm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Forgive me, if i am asking silly question.I am totally new to flex but
          > even
          > after reading a lot about flex, i am not able to clear myself about some
          > basic
          > concepts.
          > Let me explain you my situation.
          > we are generating chart in our application used some license softwar and I
          > am
          > given the task to explore th possibility of using flex.
          > Now for that software, we pass Data to its API files ( through http XML
          > post)and it return me the image( of chart) which I can use in my
          > application.
          > Now what happen in case of Flex?
          > I understand, I have to build some 'swf' file with flex builder. but how
          > these
          > file will accept data which will be generated dynamically at server side.
          > and
          > how these files are passed to browser( which executes these files)
          >
          > The more basic thing is, do I have to pass Data( on the basis of which
          > charts
          > are generated) to them at server side
          > or at client side.
          >
          > I am seeing some examples on charts based on flex , but all those examples
          > have data already with them, they don't show, how Data can be passed to
          > the
          > code which is confusing me.
          >
          > if possible,Please give me some examples/sites from which i can read more
          > about how flex fits with web application especially when Data set is not
          > constant and generated dynamically.

Try looking in the Help under HTTPService.

• 2. Re: New to Flex
            kartikjayaraman
            Why do you want to pass a pre generated chart as data? You'd rather be better off returning the data as XML and then use Flex charting to manipulate the data.

If you have to pass the image anyway, pass it as an Object. For example, a .net web service can return an array of bytes - which can be read by Flex and then shown as an Image. You'll have to look up the APIs to converted the byte stream to an Image and show it.