• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom performance slow

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've a new MacBook Pro (late 2016 usb-c) and find Lightroom very slow in "develop" mode. I can't scroll quick from one to the next photo. What can I do to solve that problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Okay, that's a faster CPU ... this particular problem you are having is most likely driven by CPU speed, but definitely try the things I stated.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please give us some details

• What version NUMBER of Lightroom are you using (go to Help->System Info)?
  • What operating system version NUMBER are you using?
  • What size monitor are you using in pixels (width and height)?
  • Do you have the GPU acceleration turned on? (Preferences->Performance tab->is the "Use Graphics Processor" box checked?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC 2015, latest update Creative Cloud

macOS Sierra latest update 10.12.2

Macbook Pro 13inch (New model with touchbar Late 2016)

LG UltraFine 5K monitor

Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 550

YES I use Graphics Processor

Al brand new system so to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want you to tell me you have the latest version, I want you to tell me the version NUMBER.

I don't want the monitor size in inches. I specifically asked for the dimensions in pixels.

Please turn off (uncheck Use Graphics Processor) and see if your speed improves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry DJ_Paige, but thanks for the reply!

LG UltraFine 5K‑display has a 5120 x 2880px resolution

Lightroom 2015.8

When I switch of seems a bit better?

Should I switch off “Use Smart Previews instead of Originas for image editing “ also?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Previews might help, give it a try.

You have a very large monitor in pixels, in my opinion, you will have to accept some tradeoffs; turning off the graphics processor will help some things but will slow down other things, please read GPU notes for Lightroom CC (2015)

Also, your CPU (2.9GHz Intel Core i5) isn't particularly fast by today's standards and a faster CPU would help, but I'm guessing you can't really upgrade the CPU on your new computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dj_paige, I'll look in to that.

My CPU is 3,3 GHz Intel Core i7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that's a faster CPU ... this particular problem you are having is most likely driven by CPU speed, but definitely try the things I stated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of continually asking anyone complaining of LR performance for specs, let us just acknowledge (and wish Adobe could acknowledge this more thoroughly) that LR performance on new Macbook Pros is pathetic. More than than, it plain sucks.  I have just purchased a new Macbook Pro 2017 with top spec (3.1 Ghz CPU, Radeon Pro 560 4Gb graphics) and LR is UNUSABLE for any professional work. The develop sliders lag, the Develop preview updates like 2 times a second at best, or once per second while using sliders to change settings like WB or exposure.

One does not need to go further than Library module: It cannot even browse from one pic to the next in Loop mode, or scroll the thumbnails in Library mode without hick-ups, jerks and lags. I mean can they look at how apple's own PHotos app scrolls and browses the pics, scratch their heads and finally do something about actually USING the hardware that Macs provide!

LR is slow both on the built in Retina display, and on my LG Ultrafine 5K - with zero difference in speed. Which makes me suppose that the GPU acceleration does not work at all (and I can confirm that switching GPU support on or off in preferences does not make any appreciable difference).

I tried switching on the use of smart previews for editing - that does not help either.

All that on brand new top spec Apple machine, with fresh Mac OS High Sierra and fresh install of Adobe Creative Cloud apps!

Wake up, Adobe, and concentrate on mac platform performance instead of being obsessive ripping off customers with subsriptions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

alexandrec16003235 or maybe we could acknowledge that MacBook Pros are not designed for Lightroom, and we need to have Apple put out a machine that is powerful enough to run LR.

Wake up, Adobe,

But anyway, we are not Adobe here in this forum, we are just other LR users who can't change the design or programming of Lightroom, and you are wasting your time here, you need to contact Adobe and not the users in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines