1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 19, 2017 3:34 PM by trshaner

Exposure, whites, & highlights technique

Paul_B_GB Level 1

For the first time I’m experimenting with off camera flash at the moment. It’s a learning curve but I’m getting there. There’s a few photos that I’ve taken that I really like, but unfortunately they were shot quite underexposed! I can adjust them in Lightroom to end up with a full histogram, but do wonder if my technique is ok or not. So I have a few questions about my technique:

On the underexposed images that need a lot lifting, there comes a point where you know how far you can go with +whites (& +exposure) before it looks like you’re using too much +whites, & so you stop. However sometimes you still don’t have a full histogram. Is it good practice to go further & use “too much” +whites to obtain a full histogram, and then use –highlights to compensate, i.e –highlights to reduce brightness a bit in the high tones that were caused by too much +whites?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Exposure, whites, & highlights technique
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Paul_B_GB wrote:

On the underexposed images that need a lot lifting, there comes a point where you know how far you can go with +whites (& +exposure) before it looks like you’re using too much +whites, & so you stop. However sometimes you still don’t have a full histogram. Is it good practice to go further & use “too much” +whites to obtain a full histogram, and then use –highlights to compensate, i.e –highlights to reduce brightness a bit in the high tones that were caused by too much +whites?

LR's PV2012 Tone controls are image adaptive and each one works on a specific area of the Histogram. I've put together a PV2012 Basic panel Tone Control adjustment procedure, which should help answer your questions:

Re: camera calibration profiles: standard vs neutral

If you still have further questions don't hesitate to ask.