16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2017 4:49 PM by budonian2017

Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)

Photo80200

HiGuys

I am trying out Lightroom again to see how it works for my goals. The first and most important problem is that all types of previews are loading slow. I undertand that when you make a small preview, or a screensize preview it will take some time when you go to 1:1. But i hoped that normal previews would load almost instantly at 1:8

My computers:

i5, 8GB ram, 450mb SSD, no moving parts HDs and a newer i5 with PCI-e SSD and 16GB ram

On a fresh windows install.

What i tried:

I tried all suggestions found on this forum, apart from someone suggesting making Smart previews, because i need normal previews to be acceptably fast.

The faster computer is a bit faster in loading (and WAY faster in other tasks)

I did not measure every loading (becoming sharp) time, but no time is faster than 5 seconds and it goes up to 20 seconds per photo.

Smallest preview: loads slow at 1:16, 1:8 and screensize

Screensize px preview: loads slow at 1:16, 1:8 and screensize

1:1 preview loads slow when you to to 1:1 view (....)

I tried all kinds of settings, but nothing changes this loading speed.

Could anybody tell me what above times should be? And how it can be made faster? Because when these speeds are approximately normal, my work can not be done in Lightroom (checking, selecting, viewing sharpness, etc)

Thanks

• 1. Re: Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)
          dj_paige Level 9

Previews are loading slow? In the Develop Module, or in the Library Module, or both, or somewhere else? Did you at Import select the option to have 1:1 previews created?

What version NUMBER of Lightroom (please go to Help->System Info and report the version number of Lightroom shown there)

What size in pixels is your monitor?

Please state the exact make and model numbers of your CPUs.

SSD or standard hard drive will not make a difference here.

• 2. Re: Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)
            Photo80200 Level 1

Hi dj

Yes, i tried making all the mentioned previews, also 1:1. And on all i tried the different views.

In develop mode loading goes a bit faster. Strange is that in Develop mode, when i go through photos and return to a previously viewed photo it takes a 5 or more seconds again to view it sharp.

I am trying Lightroom CC 2015.1. On another computer i had a lot of other problems with another version, but i forgot which one.

Monitor is 1920 and i made 1920 previews, but they ware no faster. CPUs are Intel i5 2600 and i5 6300.

SSD does make a very large difference in starting up lightroom, and it seems to speed up everything in Photoshop, but i did not really measure what is faster and what not.

• 3. Re: Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)
              dj_paige Level 9

Yes, I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been. The SSD will speed up launching Lightroom and the Library module, it will not speed up the generation of previews or the develop module (other than a trivial amount that you will never notice).

Generating previews is controlled by the CPU, your i5-6300 is relatively slow by today's standards, and this could be the problem. A faster CPU would help. I did not find any i5-2600 listed so I don't know it's speed.

How big are these photos in megapixels (or, alternatively, what camera took these photos)?

• 4. Re: Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)
                Photo80200 Level 1

The photos are RAW from a Nikon D750, 25MB. But also from a Ricoh GR and Olympus EM1 and they are not noticeably different, even though the raw types are different. Is it strange that all photos are fast to open in any viewers and in Faststone and DxO? My newest computer does that noticeably faster than the other other computer. But in Lightroom all viewing is slow. Editing in Lightroom is fast. Even when i brush very fast, etc.

• 5. Re: Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)
                  dj_paige Level 9

So relatively large RAW files, relatively slow CPU, I guess I find the slowness of generating the previews to be reasonable (NOTE: this is just my opinion).

I can't speak about DxO, but I think FastStone is just showing you the embedded JPG preview in the RAW file (maybe DxO is doing this too, I don't know). Of course, this will be a lot faster than what Lightroom is doing, which is rendering the RAW photo.

• 6. Re: Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)
                    Photo80200 Level 1

Maybe my explanation was not very clear, but i mean that i am using previews that are allready made in importing the photos.

So, when i import with 1920 wide or 1200 or 1:1 previews and i wait for that to be finished, AFTER that when i go through the photos, after that it still needs 5 to 20 seconds to just show the photo sharp. And it takes at least 5-7 seconds to look at these photos (sharp, i i mean the rotating arrow is turning and loading) in any size. So after making any previews in import, it takes this time to see it 1:8, 1:16, screenfit, and at 1:1. Also when i make 1:1 previews, after making them, it still takes about 7 seconds just to view it screenfit and longer when i zoom to 1:1.

So there is no way to make just viewing a photo take less than 5 seconds.

I was hoping an i5 6300 would be fast enough. Because most users have slower processors.

Can i conclude this from your answers?:

-Lightroom is very heavily constrained by your processor, because the newest i5 processor still makes it hard to just select your photos after import

-Is it right that if the speeds are normal, all i can do is to buy the fastest processor. Or would that be only like 20% faster?

-Most photographers just wait 5-10 or more seconds per photo just to decide to discard it, when they shot 800 photos? Maybe a silly question, but just to clarify that nobody really needs a solution for this viewing speed?

-Could it be that always inmporting with Smart Previews is the solution, because then there will never be something rendered from the raw file?

• 7. Re: Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)
                      dj_paige Level 9

In what sense do you refer to "newest i5 processor" ... the i5-6300 was released in 2015 ... and anyway the i7 processors typically are faster

Yes, Lightroom depends heavily on the CPU, the faster the CPU, the faster Lightroom will perform. The advice I always give people is to get the fastest CPU you can afford ... if for cost reasons you have to make tradeoffs between CPU speed, memory and disk speed, always go for the fastest CPU you can afford, you can cut back the memory to 8GB (but not lower) and you don't need the fastest disks (which is how my computer is configured) and that will probably give you the best performance in LR (although other programs you own may not perform well with that hardware).

Smart Previews may or may not help here, I have not tried.

• 8. Re: Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)
                        Photo80200 Level 1

Could i ask why it takes at least 5 seconds to show a photo at 'fit' or 'fill' size when you allready have a preview made at 1600 or 1920 or 1:1?

I also mean that it does not have to load edits or anything. Its just after importing with a preview and then skipping through the photos just to view them sharp at fit size or at 1:8.

(You said 'large' photos, but the Ricoh GR photos take approximately the same time, which are 16MB photos)

Can i conclude that your photos also take at least 5 seconds just to view when skipping through them? Or maybe a second faster because of a 25% faster CPU?

Thanks,

• 9. Re: Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)
                          dj_paige Level 9

Photo80200 wrote:

Could i ask why it takes at least 5 seconds to show a photo at 'fit' or 'fill' size when you allready have a preview made at 1600 or 1920 or 1:1?

In the Library module, are these newly imported photos, or older photos that you are looking at? If older photos, the 1:1 previews may have been discarded, and new previews must be rendered, thus slowness. There is a setting somewhere that allows you to retain the previews for a longer time, or even forever if you want. I believe you can set LR to keep the previews for just one week before deleting the preview, and when you come back to the photo 8 days later, it has to render the preview again, that may be what you are seeing?

In the Develop Module, each image is rendered from the RAW and existing edits each time it appears, and so this should take a while, and the time required depends on the CPU and other factors such as size of the image, size of the screen and the amount and complexity of the previous edits on this photo.

Can i conclude that your photos also take at least 5 seconds just to view when skipping through them? Or maybe a second faster because of a 25% faster CPU?

Previews usually appear in under 1 second on my computer. Every once in a while, it might be 2-3 seconds.

• 10. Re: Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)
                            Photo80200 Level 1

I am talking about every photo. But most importantly the ones that i just imported. And the extra testing i did the last few days in different sizes of previews, different viewing sizes in library and in develop.

And no matter what i try, it always takes at least 5 seconds to view a photo sharp 16th, 4th or 1:1.

I am quite good at the techniques and at analysing and reducing problems, but not so good at writing it in english in the right explanation.

From your experience, i have to conclude there is something wrong with my 2 computers or lightroom, that makes every viewing slow. Because all else is very fast.

Any more tips maybe?

• 11. Re: Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)
                              dj_paige Level 9

The only thing left that I can think of falls in the "wild guess" category, so here it is: make sure your virus checker is not set to scan the folders that contain your photos.

• 12. Re: Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)
                                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Photo80200 wrote:

This is not normal behavior for the LR Library module with 1:1 Previews built. The Develop module rendering should be slower because it builds the preview "real-time" as you make adjustments and when you select a new image file.

Photo80200 wrote:

I also mean that it does not have to load edits or anything. Its just after importing with a preview and then skipping through the photos just to view them sharp at fit size or at 1:8.

The Fit and Fill Zoom view uses the Standard size preview with interpolation to resize it as described (Fit or Fill preview area). The numbered pyramid Zoom view sizes (1:16 thru 1:2) are only created when you Build 1:1 Previews. If only Standard size previews were built it will take longer to see sharp images using one of the numbered pyramid Zoom settings because they don't exist. LR builds the pyramid Zoom Previews (1:16 thru 1;2) and 1:1 Previews, which can take five or more seconds depending on the image megapixel size and processor performance.

You mention, "I am trying Lightroom CC 2015.1. On another computer i had a lot of other problems with another version, but i forgot which one." That's a very old version of LR, which is currently at CC 2015.8. So it appears you have some issues with newer versions AND this older CC 2015.1 version!

SUGGESTIONS

1) LR's Library performance can be affected by an incompatible or corrupted monitor profile. Follow the procedure at the below link to reset your monitor profile to the sRGB profile if using a standard gamut monitor or Adobe RGB profile if using a wide gamut monitor. You'll need to close and then reopen LR to load the newly assigned monitor profile.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-w hether-its-corrupted/

2) LR's Library performance can also be affected by a corrupt Preview Cache. Close Create a new Preview Cache by going to menu Edit> Catalog Settings> General tab and click on 'Show.' Next close LR and rename the LR Previews folder with a .OLD extension as shown below. When you reopen LR it will build a new Previews Cache folder. In the Library module select some images to test and go to menu Previews> Build 1:1 previews. Once complete try reviewing them again to see if that resolves the issue.

If the issue is NOT resolved you can restore your original Previews folder. Close LR, delete the new Lightroom CC Catalog Previews.lrdata folder, and remove the .OLD extension on the original Lightroom CC Catalog Previews.lrdata folder.

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)
                                  Photo80200 Level 1

Thanks Photo80200,

I was away for shoots, sorry for the late reply, i was away for the more fun part of photography: photoshoots.

Because the preview database gets so immensely large, i rebuilt it a few times. Sometimes i through parts of it away.

But my guess that if there is something wrong with previews, that does not influence the slowness of viewing new imports.

I can follow your explanation of how Lightroom builds previews, but then still my fast computer takes too long to show pictures sharp.

I changed my profiles, but that did not change anything. I imported photos at 1:1 and 1900, and viewed them at diffent sizes, but it all took longer than 6-7 seconds to get sharp/loaded.

I will try another version of LR. Hope its just a strange flaw.

(I also noticed that with optimizing the catalog, i got a message that it could not finish, but yesterday i did 2 (to be sure) optimizes and they worked, but nothing changed in skipping through the photos)

thanks

• 14. Re: Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)
                                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Photo80200 wrote:

(I also noticed that with optimizing the catalog, i got a message that it could not finish, but yesterday i did 2 (to be sure) optimizes and they worked, but nothing changed in skipping through the photos)

You may have an issue with the LR Catalog. Create a new catalog and import about 100 image files with the Import module File Handling> Build Previews set to 1:1. After the preview building has completed try scrolling through the image files in the Library module ans see if it's faster. I also suggest trying LR CC 2015.8 update and making sure your Catalog Settings 'Standard Preview Size' is set for 'Auto' as shown below:

• 15. Re: Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)
                                      Katrinochka

ssd makes a HUGE difference here. Using apple built-in ssd in my imac previews load very fast. Using rotating drive it is pathetically frustrating.

• 16. Re: Lightroom is loading every preview (very) slow - (on 2 fast computers)
                                        budonian2017

Thank you!!! Your suggestion #2 (rebuilding the Previews cache) solved my problem.  LR 6.10 was stuck on building even *1* preview!  Now I'm back to near-instant preview creation, even though I have an old CPU (intel Core i7 970 @ 3.20 GHz, 16GB RAM).

I'd been using the previews cache since LR3, without tinkering with it, and LR 6.10 finally barfed on it.  After rebuilding it, I checked the old cache:  it's 32GB and contains 210K files (my LR catalog has 153K items)

Thanks, again!

Bill