• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crashing and then unable to open document: need to sign off proofs on Monday. Please help!

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm using the 2015 Cloud version of Indesign. Usually I have no problems. Today it crashed and then crashed again whenever I tried to open the document I was working on. Eventually (and against a deadline) I just restarted a new document....and the same thing has now happened. I can't open either of them without Indesign crashing but I can open other, already created, files. Can anyone advise? I really need to complete this by Sunday so I can proof and get sign off on Monday am!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can think of a few options for you. First off, if you are free to do so, you should post your damaged file for those of us regulars who enjoy such problems to try to recover your damaged file.

Secondly,  Markzware has a commercial file recovery service. You should take a look here:

http://markzware.com/products/file-recovery-service/

Lastly,  you can try the script hosted by Kasyan that will attempt to blind-open your INDD and attempt to export IDML:

http://kasyan.ho.com.ua/blind_open_and_idml-export.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found another method of recovering damaged InDesign files while browsing Kasyan's site:

http://kasyan.ho.com.ua/indd_recovery.html

There is a link to a Mac file recovery app at the bottom of the page. Haven't tested either one, but it's worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing I'd do is to reset your InDesign preferences:

Close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. you must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow)

You may have to do it a couple of times before you get the hang of it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also say a copy of your document using Save As and saving it as an IDML file, which will help clear file corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You don't happen to have your files on DropBox? If so, there are automatic recovery versions.

Also, if you have a Mac Time Machine you have previous versions of your file there.

You may have to go back to a previous file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines