Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferring Software

Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a new laptop at work.  My old one had Acrobat X on it.  I want to put that on my new computer but I don't have the serial number.  I don't think I ever registered the program so I can't find it under my Adobe ID.  I tried registering it on the old computer but I just get a message saying "could not register product at this time, try again later".  Is there anyway to get the serial number so I can install it on a new computer? 

I also saw things online to deactivate the program so I could reactivate on another machine.  I don't see any deactivate link under the help menu.

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017
To find the serial number on the old machine, If you are on a Mac navigate to:

Macintosh HD >> Library >> Application Support >> regid.1986-12.com.adobe

Inside the folder “regid.1986-12.com.adobe” you will probably find several files ending .swidtag

For example: regid.1986-12.com.adobe_DesignSuitePremium-CS5-Mac-GM-en_US.swidtag

Look for the one related to your product and right-click (control-click) on it and choose:

Open With >> Other

Then choose TextEdit from the list of app

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if it's still installed on your old computer, you can retrieve it:

windows: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

mac:  https://mac-product-key-finder.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spdgt wrote:

I also saw things online to deactivate the program so I could reactivate on another machine. I don't see any deactivate link under the help menu.

You can use the chat option here to ask that your activations be reset:

Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if deactivate (=sign out on acrobat) is not clickable, it's already deactivated.

if sign out is clickable, click it to deactivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To find the serial number on the old machine, If you are on a Mac navigate to:

Macintosh HD >> Library >> Application Support >> regid.1986-12.com.adobe

Inside the folder “regid.1986-12.com.adobe” you will probably find several files ending .swidtag

For example: regid.1986-12.com.adobe_DesignSuitePremium-CS5-Mac-GM-en_US.swidtag

Look for the one related to your product and right-click (control-click) on it and choose:

Open With >> Other

Then choose TextEdit from the list of applications.

For registered products the 24 digit serial number is usually found near the bottom of the text document.

On Windows navigate to:

C:\ProgramData\regid.1986-12.com.adobe

Open in Note Pad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did work to get the serial number.  I entered that and it says it's invalid.  Now I'm stuck dealing with Adobe's help through chat.  They are not being helpful.  I found the original invoice for the computer with the software listed.  They are saying it was complementary because there is no price next to it and are refusing to help.  There is no prices next to any of the lines, just the one line total for the laptop.  It's been a struggle the last couple of days trying to get help from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if your acrobat came with your computer (eg, dell), you need to use the computer vendor's software.

in the case of dell, Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You also need to check the license. If bundle software is heavily discounted it can mean that the sofware was sold for use only on the original computer, and is not transferable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines