2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2017 12:15 PM by Deaf Mike

Comp doesn't play back well on timeline - possible fix?

Deaf Mike Level 1

We downloaded an AE comp from a stock company.  It has the Marvel theme like this:

02. After Effects制作MARVEL標題效果(粵語) - YouTube

Granted the laptop I use does a pretty good job with Premiere and AE when I play the timeline to review something. But I could use something better but have to use what's given to me at work.  Anyway, this "Marvel" AE file this is the first time that it does not play back well on the timeline.  I guess it's because it's such a graphic intensive composition (I had to create 20 different still images of comic book scenes so that the AE comp would quickly switch from one to another).

When I press space bar to view it, it's taking forever for it to play back with RAM.  Should I just go ahead and let the RAM playback play all the way through (it's like 20 seconds total) and then when that little line turns from red to green, should it then work like it should?

Or is there something else I can do to make it play back better in the timeline?

Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Comp doesn't play back well on timeline - possible fix?
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
          When I press space bar to view it, it's taking forever for it to play back with RAM.  Should I just go ahead and let the RAM playback play all the way through (it's like 20 seconds total) and then when that little line turns from red to green, should it then work like it should?

Ae exact version?

Os exact version?

Spacebar defaults to play instantly in all Ae versions, and this is useful in cases where you have already cached your frames to RAM (the bar is green) or you have a very light project.

in most project it is better to playback cached frames in Ae as it was designed to - Cache the frames first, then play them back.

prior to CC2015, Numpad 0 shortcut did that, and since CC2015 you can change its default behavior and some other preview shortcuts as well. you might want to make sure you cache the frames first with Numpad 0 (the "old" behavior) by checking "cache before playback" and leave Spacebar for playing instantly.

now click 0, and wait patiently until Ae loads all frames to the available RAM you have in your Computer. the bar will turn green (no red in Ae, red is in premiere). once it's green, you can click 0 again to stop caching or it will stop when it does not have any more room and it should give you a real-time playback.

if you are experiencing anything different, come back with some more information about your setup and system info

• 2. Re: Comp doesn't play back well on timeline - possible fix?
            Deaf Mike Level 1

I did a very simple test and hit 0 and it turned it green, then used space bar to play and it works great.  I checked that cache box too.  this is very helpful - i appreciate very much your help.  thanks.