1 2 Previous Next 77 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2017 2:13 PM by trshaner

Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker

tom1979 Level 1

Intel HD Graphics 620 with Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron 13-5378 i7 16GB RAM.

Hi all I have the above setup, today I noticed that when making adjustments to images in Lightroom there is some kind of screen flicker.  I have managed to disable GPU acceleration but the problem persists.

All my drivers are up to date and it's a brand new laptop.  I've not seen this problem before and all the web posts I have seen suggest disabling GPU, but this has no affect.  Is anyone else experiencing this ?

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I suspect a defective display or defective built in GPU.

Have you tried it with an external display and does this happen at all with any other program you use.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
            tom1979 Level 1

I haven't tried it with Photoshop yet, but it's limited to Lightroom at the moment.

Interestingly my driver version installed is 21.20.16.4526, however the latest available to download from Intel is 15.45.10.4542, which would appear to be older?

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker

Even though it is a new Dell there might be updates available from Dell. 99% of the time once a notebook model is released and a set of drivers/software set up to work with that model notebook no new updates are applied at the factory. So it is up to the user to apply them.

IIRC Dell has a utility installed on the computer to kind of do that automatically but it is best to check on your own.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                tom1979 Level 1

Thanks, yes although the version number appears to be older it does have a newer date than the one installed, so I will try replacing it and see if that helps.  According to the Dell Utility installed everything is up to date, but as you say these can often be incorrect!

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                  tom1979 Level 1

Downloaded and the installer said it wasn't validated for this computer and to contact the computer manufacturer!  I guess I do have the latest one after all.  Back to square one....

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker

Check the Dell download site for any updates.

http://support.dell.com/us/en/home.asp

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                      tom1979 Level 1

Double checked and all up to date.  I will have to contact Dell and ask if there is something wrong with the display, although they will probably pass me back to Adobe!

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                        tom1979 Level 1

And that's exactly what they did, "it must be one of the Adobe programs".  I guess I will have to put up with it

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                          tom1979 Level 1

I managed to capture these from a slow motion video.....  Not sure if that helps?

flicker1.png

flicker2.png

• 10. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                            tom1979 Level 1

Well, Dell can find nothing wrong with hardware, Intel can find nothing wrong either.  It has to be down to Adobe.  Does nobody else have this issue?

• 11. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                              bhousto90 Level 3

Try downgrading the video driver to a older one from the Dell support site.

You can also try using a 2nd monitor and see what happens with it as the only active monitor, cloned and as a extended desktop with Lightroom running on the external monitor.

Let us know if the flicker reoccurs any of those other possible combinations.

Does the flicker occur while you say you are making adjustments in develop mode:

Is it just while making Basic panel adjustments or also when cropping, radial tool etc.? Library mode affected at all?

The more details you can provide the better and/or the full cell phone video of it occurring rather than just the snapshots.

• 12. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                tom1979 Level 1

Thanks I will try and find a way of adding the video.  It does it more while actually developing images but if left alone in the develop module it will still flicker occaisionally  Dell and Intel strongly suspect this to be a software issue and to be honest a blatant lie is not exactly unheard of with Adobe.

Intel : all their tests passed and various drivers tested - verdict : software issue

Dell : all their tests passed including and advanced GPU check - verdict : software issue (especially as it occurs also in the Task Manager if running)

Adobe : started off saying it was a known issue which would be dealt with in the next update but then when they saw it was the whole screen not just the image window that flickered they said it was a hardware fault and images were not able to be properly rendered.

I have yet to try another monitor due to time.

• 13. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                  tom1979 Level 1

I tried a second monitor and worked fine until I started Lightroom at which point the monitor was put to sleep, every time!

• 14. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker

You have a Hardware problem. It is not LR or any other Adobe program. If with a secondary monitor running by itself, IE Not using the built in display of the notebook at all (That notebook display dark/black) and the screen shuts off that is a hardware problem.

I run 2 system. My main desktop, an i7 Intel CPU, built in early 2011 with basic, at the time 6 years ago, NVidia GPU card with 2 monitors connected to it and a Dell E6420 notebook bought in late 2011 using a i7 CPU and NO Discrete GPU (Just the Intel GPU on the i7 CPU) and I have used it with separate, Add-On, Stand Alone, monitors in addition to using it as a notebook with the built in screen and never had any of the problems you are having. That is running LR, PS and 2 different CADD programs along with all types of Office program. No flickering, screens shutting down or whatever.

No matter what Dell is saying or any Intel software diagnostics you are running YOU HAVE A HARDWARE PROBLEM.

If this was something involving LR or any other Adobe software program this forum, and many other forums, would be filled with posts about it.

Sure LR may be taxing the Graphics system but if there wasn't a problem with the graphics system in your particular notebook this problem would show up on million of computers running LR all around the world.

If you are still within the Dell Return policy period I suggest you just Return it for a Full Refund and buy another, Dell or other brand, notebook.

• 15. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                      tom1979 Level 1

Thanks, this is what I was thinking.  I will try another monitor first to be sure.  However, since it only occurs with lightroom does that not come back to lightroom?  Without lightroom running there was no problem.

• 16. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker

No not at all. Please do a Google search on something like "Lightroom make my notebook screen flicker" or "Lightroom turns off my monitor when started". You won't find anything. If this was a LR problem there would be XXXXXXXXX number of posts and all the Tech magazines would have articles on it.

It is something in your specific notebook. What all that is is Hardware.

• 17. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                          tom1979 Level 1

Del reckon this isn't a good enough setup to run Lightroom!!!  So its not their problem

Intel HD Graphics 620 with Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron 13-5378 i7 16GB RAM

Ay ideas??

• 18. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                            bhousto90 Level 3

What modes were you trying with the 2nd monitor? i.e just as a 2nd display or did you try to use the external monitor as the only display?

At the beginning of your post you indicated you are using Lightroom CC.

From your CreativeCloud app you should be able to install the older version 5 of Lightroom to see if this changes anything.

The older version does not have any of the Graphics GPU acceleration features that may be triggering a hardware problem with your laptop.

(Not saying this is a fix but may get us closer to the root of the problem)

You may also want to try playing a 4K video to see if you can get a program other than Lightroom to create the flicker.

It may be something with Video RAM and so far only Lightroom is using the upper end?

I do not think that it is a case of the laptop being under powered for Lightroom, from the specs I found it looks like it is several steps up from what I use for Lightroom.

• 19. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                              tom1979 Level 1

Adobe now say the Intel HD Graphice 620 is not supported!!  I've had some pretty rubbish laptops in the past that ran Lightroom ok, albeit with GPU acceleration turned off.  However as this problem is limited to Lightroom they may be right.

ive not seen an option to install LR5 anyway but I'll have a look later.  Any ideas where i can get a 4K video to test?

• 20. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker

It is not supported to use the newer LR GPU feature but that is not the reason your screen is flickering. I have that option disabled on both my systems and don't have any flickering.

Also that GPU option only came out with LR CC 2015 so you certainly couldn't of used it on previous version of LR.

Why would you need a 4k monitor to test what?

• 21. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                                  tom1979 Level 1

Sounds like they were just trying to get rid of me!  It does seem to still come back to Lightroom though.   I will see if I can install LR5 somehow....

It was suggested above to "You may also want to try playing a 4K video to see if you can get a program other than Lightroom to create the flicker.  It may be something with Video RAM and so far only Lightroom is using the upper end?"

• 22. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker

Open the Creative Cloud Desktop app and go to the Apps tab . Look at the Find Additional Apps section. Click on the All Apps link on the right and select "View Previous Versions". In there you should find LR 5.

So tell me this. With all the tens to hundreds of thousands of Dell notebooks sold and out of them the thousands to tens of thousands of them running LR, let alone all the other notebooks sold by whoever running LR CC 2015, why isn't both the Dell, Adobe, and any other forum that deals with Photography filled with posts about screen flickering caused by LR?

• 23. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                                      tom1979 Level 1

I'm not disagreeing with you, I quite agree.  It is Adobe and Dell that are disagreeing.  Since the diagnostics tests all pass and my GPU is not specifically "supported" it would seem I am on my own with this one!!

I have got LR5 installed but cannot open my Catalog so need to test later today.

• 24. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker

The GPU is only NOT Supported for the newer LR GPU feature which is only good for using 4-5 k monitors. On my desktop if I enable that feature LR runs slower than with it disabled.

• 25. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                                          tom1979 Level 1

These people are pretty dumb.  Trying to explain to them is quite difficult.

• 26. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                                            tom1979 Level 1

Just trying to decide how best to proceed with this.  As far as Dell are concerned all the diagnostics pass, including  GPU stress tests and the problem only seems to occur with LR.  As far as Adobe are concerned my GPU is not supported so not their problem.

not sure where to go with this now?

• 27. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                                              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Google is your friend. It appears screen flicker is a common issue with Intel HD graphics and laptops:

https://www.google.com/search?num=100&biw=1620&bih=967&q=laptop+Intel+HD+display+flicker&o q=laptop+Intel+HD+display+flic…

Numerous solutions offered....perhaps one of them will work for you?

• 28. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                                                tom1979 Level 1

Thanks!  I had looked at some power settings but hadn't fully investigated if there were multiple power settings.  I will have a good look through tomorrow

• 29. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                                                  tom1979 Level 1

I have looked at all the power settings and everything is set for maximum performance, there were no settings for varying the refresh rate automatically.

In Lightroom 5, there is no flickering at all.  If this is the workaround this is going to be a royal pain downgrading my catalog of 51,000 images.

However in Lightroom CC when I look at the System Info I see the following:

Graphics Processor Info:

Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

Check OpenGL Support: Passed

Vendor: Intel

Version 3.3.0 - Build 21.20.16.426

Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

Language Version 3.3.0 - Build 21.20.16.426

From this it would seem the 620 is supported?

Is this a glitch with Lightroom CC after all?  The flickering occurs whether or not use of the GPU is checked, and mainly in the Develop module.  Adobe were saying the images were not being rendered properly, however in the Library module they are rendered fine with no flickering! edit: with Pentax 645Z files (51MP) there is some flickering even in the Library module when zooming to 100%.  I tried the same file, exported as DNG, in Lightroom 5 and NO flickering in Library or Develop

• 30. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker

Make sure you are using the latest LR version update 6.8 or CC 2015.8.

Next try resetting the LR Preferences file as outlined below under heading Resetting the Preferences File – Lightroom 6/CC only. You can do this by renaming the Preferences file with an extension of .OLD extension.

To preserve the existing LR 6/CC preferences file should the reset not fix the problem and you want to revert to the pre-existing file. Thus you do need to rename this file before using the reset procedure:

Windows: C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences.OLD

• 31. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                                                      jessicad53212417 Level 1

This is happening to me too - only in lightroom, develop mode and only when I use the adjustment brush. The screen flickers and then crashes entirely.  I've had Adobe remote support work on my computer two separate times and it continues to happen. I have updated the intel and dell drivers for my brand new computer too. Looks like I'll have to wait until Monday to get remote help again.

• 32. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                                                        tom1979 Level 1

I have even tried a fresh install of LR so I don't think just resetting settings is going to help.

• 33. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker

tom1979  wrote

I have even tried a fresh install of LR so I don't think just resetting settings is going to help.

When LR is uninstalled, reinstalled, or updated the original LR Preferences file is not removed or replaced with a new one. The only one to change it to see if that fixes your issue is as I outlined. It's simple and can be restored easily if no joy.

• 34. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                                                            tom1979 Level 1

Ok thanks I'll give it a go!  Just assumed reinstalling would do the same...

• 35. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                                                              tom1979 Level 1

Resetting the preferences made no difference.  This does seem to be more of a glitch with Lightroom than hardware.  I've yet to see it do it when LR CC is not running.

• 36. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker

Did you close and restart LR and then uncheck 'Use Graphics Processor?"

• 37. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                                                                  tom1979 Level 1

Yes I did, I can't think what else would be causing it.  seems odd that all the diagnostic/stress tests seem to pass fine.  I might try some of the various drivers that Intel

provided to see if any of them offer any additional power settings.

• 39. Re: Lightroom CC & Screen Flicker
                                                                                    tom1979 Level 1

Thanks but I have tried many drivers provided by Intel, including ones which have not been released yet.  I have even tried disabling the touch screen and for a short time i thought that had solved it, but it hadnt.

interestingly when monitoring the CPU usage I see that when zooming into images in Lightroom the CPU usage goes up quite a lot, sometimes to 99%.  its an i7 processor with 16GB of RAM.  Seems odd to be using that much memory on such a task.

1 2 Previous Next