• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

is there a way to detect screens in a pdf

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to detect screened images/boxes in a pdf?  Maybe with a preflight or an action?  I found in my preflight where it can detect ink coverage greater than a set % but nothing about screens.

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[I moved your question from The Lounge to a more relevant forum: Editing & Exporting PDFs]

What do you mean by "screens", exactly? And what do you want to do with this elements once they are detected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean not a 100% solid color.  For example the job we had problems with had a box of 40% black that bleeds off the top of the page.  We were hoping to find a way to detect this with out opening every one our 5,000+ pdfs we have and paging through looking for them.  Once detected it will determine which press they need printed on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I see. In that case I'll actually move your question once more, to the Printing & Prepress forum...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Pro's Prepress tool is the solution for your problem. I assume you are looking for a color that uses more than one of your CMYK and spot colors (e.g. 40% black plus at least one other color). You have to create a new preflight check:

2017-01-23_09-39-35.png

Now you have to create a check for the number of components or the number of CMYK components:

2017-01-23_09-37-02.png

This will only work if your file is using only CMYK/Spot colors. If you need this to work with other color spaces, you need to do a lot more to find such files.

If you want to use some low level automation, you can e.g. create a preflight droplet, and then just drop a number of files on that droplet (I would not do all 5000 at the same time, you will have to experiment how many you can safely process in one batch), and preflight will then sort them into two directories. For a more advanced automation, you may want to look into the server solutions offered by Enfocus or Callas Software.

I am no longer working in a print based environment, so I have not followed all the print based enhancements to the Preflight tool, so that's all I can contribute to this discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You! That would be a start.  I'd be looking at CMYK, Spot or Grayscale. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines