• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hello, I'm using MacBook pro, OS Sierra, PS CC 2017. When I drag a layer over into a tab with shift key it doesn't pop up that to insert the layer inside? how I fix this? thanks, Marwan

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm using MacBook Pro, OS Sierra, PS CC 2017. When I drag a layer over into a tab with the shift key, it doesn't pop up that to insert the layer inside? How I fix this? Thanks, Marwan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the Move tool to drag to the tab, and when the new window pops open, mouse into the new window, then add the Shift key before you release the mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb, It is not working. I was trying it, but the new window doesn't pop open! Do I need to change a setting? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to figure out how to post a video to answer this question.

In the meantime, use the Move tool to drag the current image to the tab—don't let go of the mouse button—and wait patiently until the tab opens. Then still not letting go, drag to the new canvas, then press Shift, then release the mouse. Then release shift!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm trying to attach a video to show it is not working but I don't know how!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I just figured out how to post a video. BRB!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Here's my first attempt ever at a video answer... I did add audio, so be sure your speakers are on.

Photoshop CC: Dragging an image from one file to another - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. That is what I'm doing. When I hover over the tab, it doesn't open. I uninstalled Photoshop and reinstalling it. Maybe it is a bug in the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn it! Thank you for letting me experiment with a video answer but I'm so sorry it doesn't work.

Do you have Window > Application frame turned on, and are the files are in the tabbed view? You could use Window > Arrange > 2-Up Horizontal or Vertical for now. Then Window > Arrange > Consolidate All to Tabs to restore the windows. (Even better, add shortcuts for both so that it is painless.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. It worked now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait! What worked? Dragging to the new tab? This was after the reinstall?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I used your method. The one I showed you in the Video is still not working L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting them up side-by-side? Great—I'm glad you have a way to continue working. And you can set up shortcuts in the Edit menu, if that makes it easier.

Photoshop CCss_001.png

If you still feel like you want to reinstall Photoshop, first try deleting the preferences, which is quicker.

PS delete prefs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much for all your help and assistance. Very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are very welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines